Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Tom McGlynn <tm...@ieee.org> on 2011/11/22 16:57:37 UTC

Seeking feedback on new Ivy plugin - latest status in version range

Please comment on a proposed version plugin for Ivy.

The release engineering team at Autonomy Southborough is interested in the
ability to retrieve an Ivy module at a particular status within a range of
versions.  Here are some examples of revision values using Ivy default
statuses:

[1.0,2.0].milestone - matches the latest version greater or equal to 1.0
and lower or equal to 2.0 with status milestone
1.0.+.release - matches the latest sub revision 1.0.+ with status release
2.0.+ - matches the latest sub revision 2.0.+ with status integration

The plugin would combine the capabilities and behaviors of existing version
matchers "Sub Revision", "Latest (Status)", and "Version Range".  The name
of the plugin would be LatestVersionRangeMatcher.

Our team would like to contribute patches for code, test, and
documentation, in hopes that it will be included in an Ivy release.  We
believe that no plugin like this exists, and we have seen a few inquiries
by others for something like this.

Any comments on the plugin, whether one already exists, or alternatives
would be very much appreciated.

Re: Seeking feedback on new Ivy plugin - latest status in version range

Posted by Neil Miller <ne...@pobox.com>.
Hi Tom,
  This is something I've also thought about, and is somewhere down on my
to-do list. One thing I'd like you to consider is breaking this out of
the "rev" attribute, as I think this would simplify things in the long
run and possibly in the short run too.
E.g.
<dependency org="foo" module="bar" rev="latest" status="milestone">

Benefits:
- Works with any existing or future revision plugin
- Plug-in code would be simpler
- Cleaner for future addition of features e.g. status="milestone+" or
status="milestone,release"

Cons:
- Probably would take more effort to add, though possibly not that much

Let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Neil

Posted by "Steele, Richard" <ri...@steelezone.net>.
I am very interested!

I asked a question on this list and on stack overflow (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5596002/is-there-a-way-to-specify-an-ivy-dependency-using-a-dynamic-revision-but-restric)
a while back and it's clear something like this doesn't exist yet.  There
was one suggestion to use a pattern matcher but sadly I haven't had time to
try it.

Rich

Posted by duomesken <an...@duo.nl>.
Hi Tom,
I am very much interested to know what the progress is on the
plugin/feature. (Probably) Soon there will be a new ivy version (version
2.3) and based on the release notes for the release candidate 1 I'm not sure
if this feature is incorporated. So any info on the progress will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Andries.