Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Teh Noranis Mohd Aris <te...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/01 08:14:32 UTC

Please Help!Tomcat Not Running on Linux Fedora

Dear All,

  I'm very new to Linux Fedora and not quite familiar to the commands. I'm using Fedora Core 2.6.9-1.667. I've already installed j2sdk1.4.2_10 and jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31 on my computer. Unfortunately, when I tried to execute Tomcat in the bin directory by typing ./startup.sh the following message appeared:

  The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
  This environment variable is needed to run this program

  I've used the vi .bash_profile command to set the PATH, JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME as follows:

  # .bash_profile
  .
  .
  .
  PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin;/j2sdk1.4.2_10/bin;/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/common/lib/servlet.jar
  JAVA_HOME=/j2sdk1.4.2_10
  CATALINA_HOME=/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31
  .
  .
  .
  I tried to run a java program using javac and it worked, though I'm not sure how to modify the system PATH variable. I tried to type echo $PATH but did not find the system PATH variable. Are my steps correct? Did I miss anything?

  Can anyone please explain to me in the most simple way how to solve the problem? To those who have already made Tomcat run on Linux Fedora, please help me! Waiting to hear from you soon. Thank you.

  Yours Sincerely,
  TEH

---------------------------------

Re: Please Help!Tomcat Not Running on Linux Fedora

Posted by Li <am...@gmail.com>.
PATH=$PATH;$JAVA_HOME/bin;.....

--
When we invent time, we invent death.

Re: Please Help!Tomcat Not Running on Linux Fedora

Posted by Li <am...@gmail.com>.
add JAVA_HOME to your .bash_profile and export it ...

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Teh Noranis Mohd Aris [mailto:teh_noranis@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Please Help!Tomcat Not Running on Linux Fedora
>
> Unfortunately, when I tried to execute Tomcat in the
> bin directory by typing ./startup.sh the following
> message appeared:
>
>   The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
>   This environment variable is needed to run this program

Read the RUNNING.txt file in the Tomcat base directory for the answer to
this and other setup questions.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.