Posted to user@poi.apache.org by PJD <pj...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2004/12/17 12:35:43 UTC

a liile help needed on running the poibrowser

Hi,
I am rather foolishly attempting to run the poibrowser but am having some
difficulty as currently my general knowledge of Java matters tends toward
zero.

I have installed the following rpm:
rpm from http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/jpackage/1.6/generic/free/RPMS/
jakarta-poi-2.5-4jpp.noarch.rpm

I had to install a number of other rpms first in order to get it to install
but all went well - after a very late night session :).

I am assuming that because it all went in ok I know have the wherewithall to
physically run the poibrowser on my suse linux box but unfortunately I am
lacking a few directions at this point.

To be more specific:  what do I type on my command line to get it to run.

I found an old readme by the author of the poibrowser  on
http://www.rainer-klute.de/~klute/Software/poibrowser/doc/README.html

and in a rather desperate attempt to get things underway tried the command
line that he suggested:
java de.rainer_klute.poibrowser.POIBrowser file [file...]

but was met with the rather crushing response:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: de/rainer_klute/
poibrowser/POIBrowser

I have spent some time trying to locate and understand relevant documentation
but as I am right at the very beginning of the learning curve it is proving
to be a long slog.

A simple pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

PJ

Re: Need Help!

Posted by IndianAtTech <in...@gmail.com>.
http://www.textmining.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=2

Re: Need Help!

Posted by IndianAtTech <in...@gmail.com>.

Need Help!

Re: a liile help needed on running the poibrowser

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Freitag, den 17.12.2004, 11:35 +0000 schrieb PJD:
> I found an old readme by the author of the poibrowser  on
> http://www.rainer-klute.de/~klute/Software/poibrowser/doc/README.html
>
> and in a rather desperate attempt to get things underway tried the
> command line that he suggested:
> java de.rainer_klute.poibrowser.POIBrowser file [file...]
>
> but was met with the rather crushing response:
> de/rainer_klute/poibrowser/POIBrowser

If you read that page again, you'll find that the command you executed
is only the second item in a list. You obviously omitted the first one,
i.e. including "the newly-created JAR file or the classes directory in
your class path". The classpath is where the Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
looks for classes.

However, you should no longer use the old POIBrowser from my website but
instead download the latest POI from the CVS repository.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Softwarepatente verhindern: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/