Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2015/07/07 00:49:01 UTC

Re: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "SolrCaching" by KonstantinGribov

On 7/6/2015 3:58 PM, Apache Wiki wrote:
> - The "keys" of the cache are field names, and the values are [[https://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/request/UnInvertedField.html|large data structures mapping docIds to values]].
> + The "keys" of the cache are field names, and the values are [[https://lucene.apache.org/solr/5_2_1/solr-core/org/apache/solr/search/facet/UnInvertedField.html|large data structures mapping docIds to values]].

I'm thinking that the version number probably should not be part of this
URL.  It looks like the package of this class changed from search to
search.facet.

I think the URL probably should point here:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/solr-core/org/apache/solr/search/facet/UnInvertedField.html

And that the redirect should be changed to go to the 5_2_1 version
instead of 5_2_0.

Would that be correct?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "SolrCaching" by KonstantinGribov

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
You’re right, Konstantin.

I’ve created a JIRA issue: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7763>

Steve

But for some

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Currently API docs for Lucene can be found in 2 clicks from
lucene.apache.org ("lucene core" link, then 5.2.1 in "release docs").

But it isn't so easy for Solr. I haven't found it on lucene.apache.org/solr/
site anywhere (maybe it can be found somewhere in cwiki, but not on front
page of reference guide there). Only google helped me with it.

It seems to be more important issue for current site than redirect to 5.2.0
=)

I think, link to lucene.apache.org/solr/api/ should be added to
resources/docs on Solr site.

вт, 7 июля 2015 г. в 17:42, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>:

> On 7/6/2015 5:35 PM, Konstantin Gribov wrote:
> > Yes, version-agnostic URL is much better. I haven't found it since
> > I've found only direct links to solr javadoc for earlier versions. I
> > will update it now.
>
> The API for 5.2.0 should be identical to 5.2.1.  We try extremely hard
> to NOT change the API on a bugfix release, so that users can upgrade and
> get critical fixes without changing their code or their configs.
>
> The only time I think a version number should be used in a javadoc URL
> is if the surrounding text is pointing something out that is
> version-specific.
>
> One of the tasks I've read about at release time is to adjust all
> public-facing generic URLs to point to the newly released version.  I
> don't know if it's normal to skip this for a bugfix release or not ...
> because API breaks are pretty much never done on a bugfix release, it
> probably isn't critical to update the javadoc redirect.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Re: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "SolrCaching" by KonstantinGribov

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
Yes, version-agnostic URL is much better. I haven't found it since I've
found only direct links to solr javadoc for earlier versions. I will update
it now.

Changing redirection from 5_2_0 to 5_2_1 would be nice but isn't necessary
(if 5.2.1 api is similar to 5.2.0).

Also, is there any page on lucene/solr site where direct links to javadoc
are present? I didn't find one.

вт, 7 июля 2015 г. в 1:49, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>:

> On 7/6/2015 3:58 PM, Apache Wiki wrote:
> > - The "keys" of the cache are field names, and the values are [[
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/request/UnInvertedField.html|large
> data structures mapping docIds to values]].
> > + The "keys" of the cache are field names, and the values are [[
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/5_2_1/solr-core/org/apache/solr/search/facet/UnInvertedField.html|large
> data structures mapping docIds to values]].
>
> I'm thinking that the version number probably should not be part of this
> URL.  It looks like the package of this class changed from search to
> search.facet.
>
> I think the URL probably should point here:
>

> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/solr-core/org/apache/solr/search/facet/UnInvertedField.html
>
> And that the redirect should be changed to go to the 5_2_1 version
> instead of 5_2_0.
>
> Would that be correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn