Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by ch...@netstyle.ch on 2002/09/05 12:34:12 UTC

Server-side printing with FOP

Dear users

We just integrated FOP as a genius tool to generate PDF on the fly in
our webapplication. Our client is satisfied but we would like to
offer them the possibility to print the documents directly in our
hosting center (server-side).

Problems:
1) Automating the printing of PDF Files using Acrobat (Reader) using
OLE or DDE Automation is possible but not legal.
2) PostScript would be the alternative but PSRenderer does not
support Font Embedding AFAIK. Font Embeeding is needed by our
application to show some special Unicode characters.

Questions:
1) Does PSRenderer (or another renderer) support font embedding now?
2) Do you know another solution to print an xsl:fo File using another
format directly to a Printer (PS Driver)?
3) Or is there a legal way to print a PDF File on the server (means
without using any Adobe Software)?

Thank you in advance for any hints!

Regards,

Chris Wysseier
netstyle.ch GmbH

Re: Server-side printing with FOP

Posted by Pedro Mendoza <pe...@adpclearing.org>.
Hi Chris,

A couple of choices:

1- Print PDF files using the GSPRINT tool
(http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/gsprint.htm) which is included in the
Ghostscript/Ghostview/GSview family of tools
(http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.htm)

2- Print directly from your FO or XML/XSL files using FOP (ie. c:\>Fop
foo.fo -print)

HTH,
Pedro

Posted by "Jason E. Kafer" <je...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>.
Chris, I have some good news for you.... I already developed a package
to do this, had a client that required this feature... Im on my way out
the door, but I will give you more info when I get home this evening...

Jason