Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Karsten Engelke <ka...@jpop.de> on 2001/05/02 10:51:52 UTC

Complete set of custom error messages?

Moin.

A few days ago I posted a question in Usenet and someone there said,
I should post the question here again.

My idea was to include a complete set of custom error messages in
many different languages with Apache. I really think that many
webmasters want to offer their visitors error messages in their native
language (if they have their browser set up correctly of course), but
don't find the time or don't have the ability to create error messages
in languages other than english and their native language.

And so, before someone starts to collect custom messages on their own,
I think it would be the best if the Apache Group with its developers
from all over the world itself would start a little project to get the
HTTP error messaged translated in as many languages as possible and
include a set of those messages with the standard distribution.

I hope this list is the right place to ask for this.

mfg, kaeng

Re: Complete set of custom error messages?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Karsten Engelke wrote:

> My idea was to include a complete set of custom error messages in
> many different languages with Apache.

ISTR this was brought up on the apache-docs mailing list
a few weeks ago, too.  And I think Lars was involved in the
discussion..
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: Complete set of custom error messages?

Posted by Karsten Engelke <ka...@jpop.de>.
Moin.

> (email apache-docs-subscribe@apache.org to join that discussion.)

Thank you, I subscribed to this list too.

> I agree with Josh, that while there is a very little bit of code to change,
> most of the issues are in the translations themselves (and charsets, etc)
> so this discussion belongs as part of the apache-docs effort (where we
> already have many translators :-)

Ah, could've figured that out by myself. =) Thanks for you kind
answers. :) I will look for replies in apache-docs and try to be
persistent until something happens. I really think this feature
should be included in Apache.

mfg, kaeng

Re: Updating docs to XHTML

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Wed, 2 May 2001, James Sutherland wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
> > -1 on the style="" attribs - just get it over with and create a style sheet
> > and preserve colour tags for older browsers.
>
> OK; I'll leave the style components as-is for now, and just fix up the
> HTML to XHTML; CSS can come as phase 2.
>
> Anyone got any other objections, then? If not, could someone commit this
> patch please?

I'm +1 on this.  My preference would be to see an external style-sheet and
ditch the colour tags (they are just setting to the default for most
browsers anyway).  However, this can be done later if you prefer.

I'll wait until tommorow and then commit this if there are no further
concerns.

Joshua.

Re: Updating docs to XHTML

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 2 May 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

Old programmers never die.  They just branch to a new address.
	-- BSD fortune file

Updating docs to XHTML

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
Like the status update says, I volunteered to make a start updating the
docs to XHTML. I've been away for a while, hence the silence, but I'm back
and have (a little) time to work on this!

So, here's my suggested plan:

1. Work on individual pages
	* Lower-case all the tags
	* Add/change the DOCTYPE tag on each file
	* Replace colours specified in <BODY> with <style> tags??

2. Once that's done, look at the common content to each, and "factorise"
it out into included files where possible. Not sure about using SSI for
this - it's not always enabled, so we couldn't use it for vital content...

I've attached a diff for index.html.en for review, to see if anyone has
any objections to any changes there?

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Karsten Engelke wrote:

> My idea was to include a complete set of custom error messages in many
> different languages with Apache. I really think that many webmasters
> want to offer their visitors error messages in their native language
> (if they have their browser set up correctly of course), but don't
> find the time or don't have the ability to create error messages in
> languages other than english and their native language.

Good idea - part of the documentation effort, I suggest? (I know it's not
documentation per se, but that seems like the most convenient place to
bundle it for translation purposes?)

> And so, before someone starts to collect custom messages on their own,
> I think it would be the best if the Apache Group with its developers
> from all over the world itself would start a little project to get the
> HTTP error messaged translated in as many languages as possible and
> include a set of those messages with the standard distribution.
>
> I hope this list is the right place to ask for this.

This one or -docs, I think?