Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> on 2007/03/04 04:20:17 UTC

add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

The above line in my local.cf on version 3.1.7 produced

This has quit working for 3.1.8 and only produces this output

-Spam-Status: Yes, score=56.8 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_95,BOTNET,CLAMAV,
        DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06,DIGEST_MULTIPLE,DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE,HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2,

I've cut it down by a few lines. I've checked and don't see where I needed to
make any changes between the two versions to get the same output. Is there
any reason why the actual rule scores stopped being in the output?

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 08:19:49PM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> Cuz it doesn't work?

We could go back and forth all night about this, but I'm going to stop
with this message.  If you cut/paste that line into a config file and
run a message through a functional 3.1.8, as I have done, you will find
that the header is added correctly in the output.  For example, here's
the output for sample-spam.txt:

If this does not happen for you, then there's a problem with the
installation or with expectations (if rewriting through a third-party
tool, etc,), but not the config line itself.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
I like the word `indolence.' It makes my laziness seem clever.

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Saturday 03 March 2007, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> Why is that not ok?

Cuz it doesn't work?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 08:10:33PM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> > > What config line?  Chris didn't list a config line.
> >
> > The subject of this thread is a config line.
>
> Oh, that one.
> No, its not fine.
> it should be tests=_TESTSSCORES_

Why is that not ok?  a) it works fine in a cf file -- I cut and
pasted it into a test config.  b) it's documented exactly that way in
Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf.

It so happens that "_TESTSSCORES_" and "_TESTSSCORES(,)_" equate to the
same thing, because "," is the default if not specified.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Censorship is the strongest drive in human nature; sex is a weak second."

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 07:51:03PM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> > That config line is fine.  My guess is that you have an error elsewhere
> > causing that line to not get used.  Have you run "spamassassin --lint" ?
>
> What config line?  Chris didn't list a config line.

The subject of this thread is a config line.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Is there a space between the wall and paint?"  - Bob Lazarus

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Saturday 03 March 2007, Chris wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2007 10:51 pm, John Andersen wrote:
> > >
> > > That config line is fine.  My guess is that you have an error elsewhere
> > > causing that line to not get used.  Have you run "spamassassin --lint"
> > > ?
> >
> > What config line?  Chris didn't list a config line.
>
> Here is the who config line John
>
> add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
> tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_

it should be tests=_TESTSSCORES_

No parens and comma unless you add values in there.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Sunday 04 March 2007 11:54 pm, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

> Anyway, reading the debug output...  It appears that your installation is
> very messed up.  To start, get rid of the *.cf files in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin which reference anything from sa-update.  According
> to the output you're loading rules multiple times -- my guess is that your
> local.cf setting for the Status header is being overridden by a later cf
> file.
>
> For example:
> [1738] dbg: config: read file
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf
> [1738] dbg: config: read file
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf

I believe I have it correct now Theo

http://mediasafe.embarq.com/chris1948/Hosted/chrisdebug.tar.bz2

        MSGID_FROM_MTA_ID=1.393,RCVD_IN_XBL=3.897,SAGREY=1 autolearn=disabled
        version=3.1.8

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Sunday 04 March 2007 8:56 pm, John Andersen wrote:

> > Yes John, for the record, I just now made a test without the parens:
> >
> > add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
> > tests=_TESTSSCORES_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
>
> Whelp, that's not it then.  Here's my settings:
>
> add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
>     tests=_TESTSSCORES_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
>

> And your message scored:

> 	SPF_PASS=-0.001,UPPERCASE_25_50=0 autolearn=ham version=3.1.8
>
> Are you sure :
> You don't have conflicting settings in subsequent .cf files
> You have restarted spamd (if used)
> You are not using amavisd (which seems to have its own ideas of things)...

AFAIK, none of the .cf files have anything in them to change this other than
the local.cf or possibly, and I'm probably wrong, a .pre file. Yes, I've run
"service spamassassin restart" each time I make a change additionally I
restart it each morning about 5am and its restarted each time there is an
update via sa-update. No, I'm not using amavisd.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Chris wrote:
> On Sunday 04 March 2007 11:54 pm, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

>> Anyway, reading the debug output...  It appears that your installation is
>> very messed up.  To start, get rid of the *.cf files in
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin which reference anything from sa-update.  According
>> to the output you're loading rules multiple times -- my guess is that your
>> local.cf setting for the Status header is being overridden by a later cf
>> file.
>>
>> For example:
>> [1738] dbg: config: read file
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf
>> [1738] dbg: config: read file
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf
>
> I see that now Theo, thanks. I guess I was following Daryl's suggestion to put
> the update files in etc/mail/spamassassin or maybe I did it wrong, hell I
> don't know.
>
> Daryl posted this to me on the 5th of Feb:
>
>> BTW, you can put the channel file wherever you want.  It doesn't have to
>> be in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007.  Since you won't actually need the
>> "3.001007" directory once you upgrade to, say, 3.1.8 or 3.2.0 I'd
>> suggest keeping your channel file somewhere else.  In
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin (or whatever your site config directory is) would
>> be a suitable location according to FHS.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand what he's saying.

I meant the sa-update channel file (ie the file that contains all the
channel addresses and is referred to by sa-update with --channelfile),
not the files from the channel(s). :)

Daryl

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 06:56:19PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> The entire debug output is here:
> http://mediasafe.embarq.com/chris1948/Hosted/chrisdebug-1.txt.tar.bz2

Hrm.  Well, a few thoughts, including -- why create a tar file for a single
file?  Just compress the text file.  ;)

Anyway, reading the debug output...  It appears that your installation is very
messed up.  To start, get rid of the *.cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin
which reference anything from sa-update.  According to the output you're
Status header is being overridden by a later cf file.

For example:
[1738] dbg: config: read file
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf
[1738] dbg: config: read file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org/10_misc.cf

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
I am Henny of Borg - assimilate my wife...please!

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Sunday 04 March 2007 4:16 pm, John Andersen wrote:

> So for the record, have you or have you not tried
> tests=_TESTSSCORES_     (without the parens)??

Yes John, for the record, I just now made a test without the parens:

add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
tests=_TESTSSCORES_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_

The same test message was used as this morning, results below:

        SPF_HELO_PASS,URIBL_OB_SURBL,URIBL_PH_SURBL autolearn=no version=3.1.8

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Sunday 04 March 2007, Matt Kettler wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > Mine did not work till I removed the parens and added the underscore.
>
> And added the underscore? You always need the trailing underscore. Even
> with the (,)

Slip of the tongue.  I removed the parens, period.
I did it because I was missing scores, but upon doing so
the scores re-appeared.

This didn't work for Chris, so there is still a bug somewhere
else in Chris's case.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Sunday 04 March 2007, Matt Kettler wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > So for the record, have you or have you not tried
> > tests=_TESTSSCORES_     (without the parens)??
>
> I guess since there's no other good theories, this might be worth a shot.
>
> That said, I'd be absolutely floored if this fixed the problem, given
> that _TESTSSCORES_ is not a proper config option listed in the docs.
>
> The man page documents _TESTSSCORES(,)_ not _TESTSSCORES_.

Read it again.  It says:
"The following "tags" can be used as placeholders in certain options. They
will be replaced by the corresponding value when they are used.
Some tags can take an argument (in parentheses). The argument is optional, and
the default is shown below."

Mine did not work till I removed the parens and added the underscore.

> Since Theo is a developer of SpamAssassin, I'll trust him that
> _TESTSSCORES_ should work, despite being undocumented, so to that end it
> might be worth trying.

It is not undocumented.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
John Andersen wrote:

> So for the record, have you or have you not tried
> tests=_TESTSSCORES_     (without the parens)??

I guess since there's no other good theories, this might be worth a shot.

That said, I'd be absolutely floored if this fixed the problem, given
that _TESTSSCORES_ is not a proper config option listed in the docs.

The man page documents _TESTSSCORES(,)_ not _TESTSSCORES_.

That said, as Theo pointed out, the one without the (,) should also
work, as the parser will treat (,) as the default. However,
_TESTSSCORES_ is not a documented option, nor has it been in the docs
since 2.60 came out. It's always appeared with the (,)

Since Theo is a developer of SpamAssassin, I'll trust him that
_TESTSSCORES_ should work, despite being undocumented, so to that end it
might be worth trying.

That said, it's worth a shot, but only as a wild-guess shot-in-the dark.
There's no technically sound reason to do it, other than, "well, it's
not working as it should, so try something else".

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:11:46PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> > That config line is fine.  My guess is that you have an error elsewhere
> > causing that line to not get used.  Have you run "spamassassin --lint" ?
>
> [chris@cpollock ~]$ spamassassin --lint
> No errors are shown

Hrm.  Is that config file actually used (see -D output)?  How are you
running SA?  Does "spamassassin < sample-spam.txt" work as expected?

It may also be useful if you pastebot your debug output.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Bridge ahead.  Pay troll.

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday 03 March 2007 10:40 pm, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 09:20:17PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> > Is there any reason why the actual rule scores stopped being in the
> > output?
>
> That config line is fine.  My guess is that you have an error elsewhere
> causing that line to not get used.  Have you run "spamassassin --lint" ?

Yep,
[chris@cpollock ~]$ spamassassin --lint
[chris@cpollock ~]$

No errors are shown

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 09:20:17PM -0600, Chris wrote:
> Is there any reason why the actual rule scores stopped being in the output?

That config line is fine.  My guess is that you have an error elsewhere
causing that line to not get used.  Have you run "spamassassin --lint" ?

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Windows: From the people who brought you the 640K limit.

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, John Andersen wrote:

> On Saturday 03 March 2007, Chris wrote:
>> The above line in my local.cf on version 3.1.7 produced

>> ��������
>>
>> This has quit working for 3.1.8 and only produces this output
>>
>> -Spam-Status: Yes, score=56.8 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_95,BOTNET,CLAMAV,
>> ��������DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06,DIGEST_MULTIPLE,DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE,HELO_DYNAMI
>> C_IPADDR2,
>> I've cut it down by a few lines. I've checked and don't see where I needed
>> to make any changes between the two versions to get the same output. Is
>> there any reason why the actual rule scores stopped being in the output?
>
> In local.cf change something like this:
> add_header all .... tests=_TESTS_ .....
> to something like:
> add_header all .... tests=_TESTSSCORES .....
>
> per
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#template_tags

Per the docs, there is a trailing underscore. I.e.:

add_header all .... tests=_TESTSSCORES_ .....

I can vouch the same thing is happening here. I just made the switch over
to bayes filtering at the user level and made the same header changes. The
tests are displayed without scores for the _TESTSSCORES_ template tag.

Both servers here tested with 3.1.8. Both servers only have ONE
spamassassin installed. Both servers are using spamd/spamc combo.

However, if I use the spamassassin to verify the results, the scores are
in fact within the header. I.e.:

spamassassin -t < testmessage.msg > testmessage.out

testmessage.out does in fact have the correct results.

It appears something within spamd/spamc is causing the incorrect results.

Re: add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ > tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.