Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org> on 2018/10/29 09:27:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Sharding-Sphere incubation proposal

Dear Apache Incubator Community,

I would like to start a discussion about the incubation of Sharding-Sphere
at Apache.

Please accept the Sharding-Sphere podling into the Incubator.

We have 4 mentors, also we are welcome other volunteers to mentor us.

The proposal can be found at
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ShardingSphereProposal . Here is the text
of it:

= Abstract =
Sharding-Sphere is an ecosystem of transparent distributed database
middleware, focusing on data sharding, distributed transaction and database
orchestration. It provides maximum compatibility for applications through
Sharding-JDBC (a driver to implement JDBC) or Sharding-Proxy (a proxy to
implement database protocol).

= Proposal =
With a large number of end users, Sharding-Sphere has a fairly huge
community in China. It is also widely adopted by many [[
http://shardingsphere.io/community/en/company/|companies and
organizations]] as a solution to process their massive amounts of data.

We believe that bringing Sharding-Sphere into Apache Software Foundation
could advance development of a stronger and more diverse open source
community.

Dangdang submits this proposal to donate Sharding-Sphere's source codes and
all related documentations to Apache Software Foundation. The codes are
already under Apache License Version 2.0.

  * Code base: https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere

  * Web site: http://shardingsphere.io/

  * Documentations: http://shardingsphere.io/document/current/

  * Community: http://shardingsphere.io/community/

= Background =

Relational database hardly supports such huge amounts of data any more
which has increased rapidly in recent years, but for reason of technique
maturity, developers and DBAs still want to use it to persist core data.

Sharding-Sphere was open sourced on Github in 2016. At the very beginning,
Sharding-Sphere is just a JDBC driver for data sharding (name as
Sharding-JDBC) at Dangdang internal framework; now it offers data sharding,
distributed transaction and database orchestration. Besides JDBC, proxy to
implement MySQL database protocol is also supported at present.
Furthermore, our roadmap includes Proxy for PostgreSQL protocol, Sidecar
model, data repica and elastic data scalability function as well.

Due to the extension of project, we provide proxy model and sidecar model
in addition to JDBC model. Therefore, we rename it to Sharding-Sphere by [[
https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere/issues/788|a public
vote]], which refers to a sharding ecosphere with Sharding-JDBC,
Sharding-Proxy and Sharding Sidecar as its three sub-projects.

Sharding-JDBC has won the [[http://www.oschina.net/project/top_cn_2016|TOP
20 most popular open source projects in China 2016]].

= Rationale =

Relational database still plays a very important role on current
application system. The maturity of products and surrounding ecosystem, the
friendliness of its data query and developers' and DBAs' mastery of it,
cannot be completely replaced with other types of database in the near
future. However, current relational database cannot support cloud native
very well and it is not friendly to distributed system.

It is the ultimate goal of Sharding-Sphere, which manages the databases
scattering around the system, to make user use distributed databases as
simply as using a single one.

Without extra cost, Sharding-JDBC directly connects database with Java
application to get the best performance.

Sharding-Proxy is deployed as a stateless server and supports MySQL
protocol at present. In the paper [[
https://db.cs.cmu.edu/papers/2016/pavlo-newsql-sigmodrec2016.pdf|What’s
Really New with NewSQL?]], three types of NewSQL are introduced, among
which Sharding-Proxy is a Transparent Sharding Middleware.

Sharding-Sidecar can be understood as a data panel in Service Mesh. The
interaction between the application and the database provides a mesh layer.
The concept of Database Mesh is similar to Service Mesh, and it focuses on
how to connect data access applications to the database. Database Mesh will
set up a huge grid system between applications and databases. Applications
and databases need be placed in the grid system. They are all objects
managed by the meshing layer.

= Current Status =
== Meritocracy ==
Sharding-Sphere was incubated at Dangdang in 2015 and open sourced on
GitHub in 2016. In 2017, JingDong recognized its value and determined to
sponsor this project. Sharding-Sphere has contributors and users from many
companies; we have set up the PMC Team and Committer Team. New contributors
are guided and reviewed by existed PMC members. When they are ready, PMC
will start a vote to promote him/her to become a member of PMC or Committer
Team. See the details See the details [[
http://shardingsphere.io/community/en/organization/|here]]. Contributions
are always welcomed and highly valued.

== Community ==
Now we have set development teams for Sharding-Sphere respectively in
JingDong, Dangdang and Bestpay. Companies like Sohu and Dataman have shown
great interest in Sharding-Sphere. We hope to grow the base of contributors
by inviting all those who offer contributions through The Apache Way. Right
now, we make use of github as code hosting as well as gitter for community
communication.

== Core Developers ==
The core developers, including experienced open source developers and team
leaders, have formed a group full of diversity.

= Known Risks =
== Orphaned products ==
Three development teams from JingDong, Dangdang and CHINA TELECOM Bestpay
will spare no pains to work on Sharding-Sphere in the future with
contributors from the growing community. Also, Sharding-Sphere is widely
adopted in China by many [[
http://shardingsphere.io/community/en/company/|companies and
organizations]]. Thus, it is very unlikely that Sharding-Sphere becomes
orphaned.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==

The current core developers all work for companies that have developed or
contributed to many open source projects.

  * Liang Zhang, PMC. He is the lead of two open source projects,
Sharding-Sphere and Elastic-Job. Also Committer of Apache Dubbo (Incubator).

  * Sheng Wu, PMC. He is the PPMC and committer of Apache
SkyWalking(Incubating), Apache Zipkin(Incubating) contributor, CNCF
OpenTracing member. Also contributed a lot other open source projects.

  * Hongtao Gao, PMC. He is the PPMC and committer of Apache
SkyWalking(Incubating) too. Also contribute a lot of features of
Elastic-Job.

Therefore, we believe we have enough experience to deal with open source.

== Homogenous Developers ==
The current core developers work across a variety of organizations
including Jingdong, Dangdang and CHINA TELECOM Bestpay; some individual
developers are accepted as core developers of Sharding-Sphere as well.
Considering that Sohu and Dataman have shown great interest in
Sharding-Sphere, we plan to encourage them to contribute and invite them as
contributors to work together.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
At present, three of the core developers are paid by their employer to
contribute to Sharding-Sphere project. It is estimated that the development
of Sharding-Sphere will be continued with mainly salaried developers, and
we will make efforts to attract more volunteers and grow the community.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==

An automatic prober of Sharding-Sphere is introduced into SkyWalking to
send APM data, and SkyWalking also use Sharding-Sphere to persit tracing
data. Saga provided by ServiceComb is adopted by Sharding-Sphere as one of
the distributed transaction processing engines. Sharding-Sphere integrates
Apache Zookeeper as one of the service registration/discovery mechanisms.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
We acknowledge the value and reputation that the Apache brand would bring
to Sharding-Sphere. However, our primary interest is in the excellent
community provided by Apache Software Foundation, in which all the projects
could gain stability for long-term development.

= Documentation =
A complete set of Sharding-Sphere documentations is provided on
shardingsphere.io in both English and Simplified Chinese.

  * [[http://shardingsphere.io/document/current/en/overview/|English]]
  * [[http://shardingsphere.io/document/current/cn/overview/|Chinese]]

= Initial Source =
The project consists of three distinct codebases: core, example and
document. The address of three existed git repositories are as follows:

  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere
  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere-example
  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere-doc

= Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan =
The codes are currently under Apache License Version 2.0 and have been
verified to have no intellectual property or license issues before being
released to open source by Dangdang in 2016. Dangdang will provide SGA and
all committers will sign ICLA after Sharding-Sphere is accepted into the
Incubator.

= External Dependencies =

As all dependencies are managed using Apache Maven, none of the external
libraries need to be packaged in a source distribution. All dependencies
have Apache compatible licenses except MySQL (GPL-2.0).

We will remove MySQL dependencies in future. MySQL JDBC driver is adopted
by Sharding-Proxy to connect MySQL now; We will use SPI to load JDBC
driver, so MySQL JDBC driver is no longer provided on Sharding-Sphere.

  * Guava Apache-2.0
  * Guava Retrying Apache-2.0
  * commons-codec Apache-2.0
  * commons-pool Apache-2.0
  * commons-dbcp Apache-2.0
  * netty Apache-2.0
  * curator Apache-2.0
  * grpc Apache-2.0
  * protobuf BSD 3-clause
  * lombok MIT
  * groovy Apache-2.0
  * snakeyaml Apache-2.0
  * spring-context-support Apache-2.0
  * spring-context-test Apache-2.0
  * spring-boot-starter Apache-2.0
  * spring-boot-configuration-processor Apache-2.0
  * spring-boot-starter-test Apache-2.0
  * slf4j MIT
  * logback EPL-1.0
  * junit EPL-1.0
  * hamcrest BSD 3-clause
  * mockito MIT
  * h2 MPL-2.0/EPL-1.0
  * mysql GPL-2.0 Will remove before first apache release, use SPI instead
of it
  * postgresql BSD
  * mssql-jdbc MIT
  * HikariCP Apache-2.0
  * ANTLR BSD
  * OpenTracing BSD

= Required Resources =
== Git Repositories ==
  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere.git
  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere-example.git
  * https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere-doc.git

== Issue Tracking ==

The community would like to continue using GitHub Issues.

== Continuous Integration tool ==
Travis

== Mailing Lists ==
  * Sharding-Sphere-dev: for development discussions
  * Sharding-Sphere-private: for PPMC discussions
  * Sharding-Sphere-notifications: for users notifications, and
notifications from GitHub

== Initial Committers ==
  * 张亮, Liang Zhang, zhangliang@apache.org
  * 曹昊, Hao Cao,
  * 吴晟, Sheng Wu, wusheng@apache.org
  * 高洪涛, Hongtao Gao, hanahmily@apache.org
  * 张永伦, Yonglun Zhang
  * 潘娟, Juan Pan
  * 赵俊, Jun Zhao
  * 岳令, Ling Yue
  * 马晓光, Xiaoguang Ma
  * 陈清阳, QingYang Chen

== Affiliations ==
  * JD: Liang Zhang, Yonglun Zhang, Juan Pan, Jun Zhao
  * Dangdang: Hao Cao, Ling Yue
  * CHINA TELECOM Bestpay: QingYang Chen
  * Individuals: Sheng Wu, Hongtao Gao, Xiaoguang Ma

= Sponsors =
== Champion ==
  * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at apache dot org)

== Mentors ==
  * Craig L Russell (clr at apache dot org)
  * Benjamin Hindman (benh at apache dot org)
  * Willem Ning Jiang (ningjiang at apache dot org)

== Sponsoring Entity ==
We are expecting the Apache Incubator could sponsor this project.

Best Regards,
John(Zhang Liang) from Sharding-Sphere

Re: [DISCUSS] Sharding-Sphere incubation proposal

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Seems like we have a general consensus on this -- so lets start a formal vote.

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Xin Wang <wa...@apache.org>.
+1 no-binding

Posted by 彭勇升 Peng Yongsheng <80...@qq.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Nice proposal, good to se that there’s already a community around the project and that it already have a diverse (company wise) group of committers, and that it already have the recommended number of mentors. Good luck in incubation.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Sharding-Sphere incubation proposal

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
+1

Sharding is one key for distributing systems, glad to see it as Apache
Incubator.

Thanks,
William

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 to have Sharding-Sphere in the Incubator!

<zh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Dear Apache Incubator Community,

<snip/>

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [DISCUSS] Sharding-Sphere incubation proposal

Posted by "zhangliang@apache.org" <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi, Yongsheng Peng

Welcome, after Sharding-Sphere enter to incubation, we can discuss more
details.

—————————
John (Zhang Liang) from Sharding-Sphere

彭勇升 Peng Yongsheng <80...@qq.com> 于2018年10月31日周三 下午10:16写道: