Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Gili Nachum <gi...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/26 08:10:45 UTC

Optimal FS block size for "small" documents?

Hi, What FS block size to use?

I have an RAID-5 of SSD drives currently configured with a 128KB block
size.
Can I expect better indexing/query time performance with a smaller block
size (say 8K)?
Considering my documents are almost always smaller than 8K.
I assume all stored fields would fit into one block which is good, but what
will Lucene prefer for reading a long posting list and other data
structures.

Any rules of thumb or anyone that had experiemnted on this?

Using Lucene 4.7.2 (wrapped by Solr 4.7.2)