Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2013/03/08 19:39:59 UTC

example solr configs in analysis factory docs

Spun off of comment in LUCENE-4817 ...

: +1 I still don't get why we have solr XML in the lucene analyzer javadocs, did we settle on that?

it's a chicken vs egg question.

Once upon a time, all of these analysis Factories were Solr specific, and
lived in the SOlr code base.  we have a wiki where user editable "Tips &
tricks" about some of the analysis components (and advice on how to use
them) were listed, but hte "official" (per-version) documentation about
all of these factories, and what options they supported, and examples of
how to configure them, always lived in the factories.

Then everything got heavily refactoried, and the factories were moved into
the lucene modules right along side the objects they are factories for.

As far as solr documentation goes, the class level javadocs for these
factories are still the official documentation about what the config
snippets look like for using these factories in solr.

I think it would be a big mistake to stop documenting these example usages
in the factory javadocs until/unless we come up with some other holistic
way of documenting them for solr users.

-Hoss