Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk> on 2011/05/11 16:39:51 UTC

Licenses for the WAR and standalone builds

Hi all,

I've spent some considerable time going through the library dependencies
of wookie.  After looking at WOOKIE-198, I realised there were a bunch
of other libs that were being added to the builds that we had not
initially accounted for.  In a normal setup on our machines, these jars
are hidden away under cache folder under 'user/home'. However, some of
those jars are needed as part of an actual build.

I've tried to find the corresponding licenses for them all (not all of
the ones in the cache, just the ones in the actual build).  As the
standalone and war builds contain these additional jars (but not the
source build as is), I have created a separate
"etc/release/RUNTIME_LICENSE" file in a similar format to the top level
LICENSE file.  The idea is that the ant build-release task will copy
this file over for the standalone and war builds.  (Note: Please look in
the 0.9.0 branch for these updates, not the trunk)

Can I ask someone who is license savvy to look over this file, as there
are a few new licenses in there which I am not sure are compatible to use?

thanks

Paul

Re: Licenses for the WAR and standalone builds

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 16/05/2011 11:56, Paul Sharples wrote:
> On 11/05/2011 15:39, Paul Sharples wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've spent some considerable time going through the library
>> dependencies of wookie. After looking at WOOKIE-198, I realised there
>> were a bunch of other libs that were being added to the builds that we
>> had not initially accounted for. In a normal setup on our machines,
>> these jars are hidden away under cache folder under 'user/home'.
>> However, some of those jars are needed as part of an actual build.
>>
>> I've tried to find the corresponding licenses for them all (not all of
>> the ones in the cache, just the ones in the actual build). As the
>> standalone and war builds contain these additional jars (but not the
>> source build as is), I have created a separate
>> "etc/release/RUNTIME_LICENSE" file in a similar format to the top
>> level LICENSE file. The idea is that the ant build-release task will
>> copy this file over for the standalone and war builds. (Note: Please
>> look in the 0.9.0 branch for these updates, not the trunk)
>>
>> Can I ask someone who is license savvy to look over this file, as
>> there are a few new licenses in there which I am not sure are
>> compatible to use?
>
> Just bumping this message. If no one has any issues with these new
> additional licenses, I will make another RC build this week.

I just took a look at these. The only one I am not certain of is Indiana
University Extreme! Lab Software License [1]

At first glance it looks fine, but it's too late for me to read a
licence and be certain. I suggest asking on legal-discuss@apache.org

Ross

[1] http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/viewcvs/~checkout~/XPP3/java/LICENSE.txt

Re: Licenses for the WAR and standalone builds

Posted by Paul Sharples <p....@bolton.ac.uk>.