Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alexander Elsholz <al...@widas.de> on 2010/01/14 00:12:41 UTC

wicket security future - contribute!

hi wicket folks,

in my last wicket projects i used wicket-auth roles and swarm/wasp. i think
swarm/wasp is a really good base for larger web-applications. but we all know
about the problem with swarm/wasp. i developed a few extensions for swarm, but
its a lot of code and so nobody starts to maintain and whats more important to
develop. so wasp swarm stops on wicket 1.3.

there was plans to integrate wicket-security in 1.5. @wicket developers: is this
still relevant?

i think we will not find one person who develops wicket-security allone - so
who's interested?
its not the part brings the most fun in wicket development area but a very very
important part of every enterprise application - so contribute! lets define a
security-subteam.

regards alex

Re: wicket security future - contribute!

Posted by Vojtěch Krása <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

have someone tried to integrate wicket + shiro + guice?
some example would be great.

Thanks,
V.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mc...@e-card.bg>.
On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 08:14 +0100, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> > i think we will not find one person who develops wicket-security allone - so
> > who's interested?
> > its not the part brings the most fun in wicket development area but a very very
> > important part of every enterprise application - so contribute! lets define a
> > security-subteam.
>
> I started with the built in security functionality and then moved to
> Apache Shiro. Shiro makes it very simple to authenticate users and to
> check permission from within your application code. And what I really
> like is that users of our tool still can personalise parts of those
> mechanisms when configuring their installation. Another plus is the
> permission based authorisation mechanism which makes defining and
> configuring permissions very flexible.
>
> So what I could contribute are classes to integrate Shiro into Wicket.
> If that is of interest.
There is already integration [1] with shiro in wicketstuff. Asa far as I
rememeber Lez did it for JSecurity and then someone else migrated it to
Ki and later to Shiro.
Take a look and merge your additions if possible.

1.
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/shiro-security

Posted by Adrian Wiesmann <aw...@somap.org>.
Hi Alex

Posted by Emond Papegaaij <em...@topicus.nl>.
On Thursday 14 January 2010 00:12:41 Alexander Elsholz wrote:
> in my last wicket projects i used wicket-auth roles and swarm/wasp. i think
> swarm/wasp is a really good base for larger web-applications. but we all
>  know about the problem with swarm/wasp. i developed a few extensions for
>  swarm, but its a lot of code and so nobody starts to maintain and whats
>  more important to develop. so wasp swarm stops on wicket 1.3.

Wicket-security certainly does not stop at wicket 1.3. A snapshot for wicket
1.4 is available and working. I am thinking about moving wicket-security under
the WicketStuff Core project, but it is also possible that wicket-security
will get it's own release cycle.

> there was plans to integrate wicket-security in 1.5. @wicket developers: is
>  this still relevant?

I don't know about these plans, but it is possible that this has been
discussed.

> i think we will not find one person who develops wicket-security allone -
>  so who's interested?
> its not the part brings the most fun in wicket development area but a very
>  very important part of every enterprise application - so contribute! lets
>  define a security-subteam.

Well, actually, I recently volunteered to maintain wicket-security. I must
admit that my time is somewhat limited, but I think wicket-security is too
important to leave it unmaintained. At Topicus, we still heavily depend on it
for old, current and new projects. Suggestions (and patches) are always
welcome!

My short-term plans are to release a stable wicket-1.4 version, so you no
longer need to depend on a SNAPSHOT. This week, a new version for wicket-1.3
(wicket-security-1.3.1) was released, incorporation many fixes made by Maurice
just before his accident and some minor new features. Work on a wicket-1.5
version has not yet started.

Best regards,
Emond Papegaaij