Posted to dev@ibatis.apache.org by Jeff Butler <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/12 01:42:50 UTC

iBATIS for Java 2.3.0 General Availability

The votes are in an iBATIS for Java version 2.3.0 is declared to be Apache
general availability status.

This release is the first release that does not include the DAO framework.
The DAO framework is available as a separate download on the Java downloads
page, but we recommend migrating to Spring framework based DAOs.

The official announcement will be reflected on the website within the next
hour, and you can download it from
http://ibatis.apache.org/javadownloads.cgi.

If you've been using 2.3.0 already, there's no need to download it again -
it is the same JAR.

Enjoy!
Jeff Butler

Re: iBATIS for Java 2.3.0 General Availability

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
>> Spring framework based DAOs.

Or your own DAO or DAL framework, or none at all.  I very often choose
to write a custom one because it's very easy (maybe 4 - 8 hours max),
and sometimes it fits your environment better.  More recently I've
started leaving out the DAO layer altogether.  It's probably the
lowest risk abstraction to leave out of your application.

Cheers,
Clinton

Re: [JDBC type = ARRAY / Java type = ?] iBATIS for Java 2.3.0 General Availability

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a great test for our new Maven build!

Clinton

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Signing the Jar etc. is a piece of cake.  The process looks complex,
but it's really not at all.

Thanks Larry, and best of luck.

Clinton

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
LOL.

Just saw this on DZone.

http://escx.blogspot.com/2007/02/hating-maven-less-than-ant.html

To be honest it scared me more about Maven 2, but the author still supports
it.

Clinton

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Meadors <lm...@apache.org>.
On 2/17/07, Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I understand the argument, but I am not aware of any other project at
> Apache that includes a build number as part of their version number.
> That doesn't mean you're the only one, but I think it's a minority
> practice. And if it is a minority practice, there must be a good reason
> to not do it on a general basis.

Not necessarily - a lot of people use EJB, is that a good reason for
me to use it?

Consensus != best practice.

Honestly, I don't give a dang how others do it, or if how we do it is
popular. I care that it adds value. In my opinion, adding the svn
revision that was used to create the release does that.

> My point is the Build number is irrelevant to the release. If you
> produce snapshots until an official build, then you've eliminated the
> need for it. I never needed it, and I think eliminating it may ease
> releases. What you're essentially doing is using the build number as THE
> revision number. However, the revision doesn't need a promotion until
> you're ready to vote on a release. So given three releasable versions
> using your Build scheme (2.4.000, 2.4.256, 2.4.667), that's nothing
> really more than 2.4.0, 2.4.1, and 2.4.2.

If you just use an arbitrary number, yes. 1,2,3 and 121, 256, 327 are
equally useful or useless depending on your outlook. If the glass half
full or half empty? :-)

On the other hand, doing it with the SVN revision adds the same sort
of information as the either type of numbering, but also provides the
benefit of giving our users an easy way to see exactly what the
changes are between snapshots or real releases.

So, it sounds like other than some philosophical musings on the
deterministic duality of release numbers, everyone is OK if I use SVN
revision for that number.

Cool, I'll try to get that working.

Larry

Re: iBATIS for Java 2.3.0 General Availability

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Clinton,

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree.  We can either tag it with the arbitrary build number (what
most projects do), or pull the rev number from SVN (almost impossible to
fake).

The reason most projects go with the tag approach is that it keeps a running
history of all successful builds that you can then just pluck out and
release from.  For example, build #12344 is sent through Q/A testing, broad
integration testing and the feature set is run past the user.  If all is
acceptable, build #12344 is released as 2.3.1, which are numbers that are
incremented based on whether the build included a majority of new features,
or just simple bug fixes....or more rarely...a major release.

So to answer your question from before, the build number precedes the
subjective, man-made version number.

Clinton

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.