Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by kartheek muthyala <ka...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 13:37:14 UTC

blockID generation

Hi all,
I am interested in exploring how the blockID is generated in hadoop world
by the namenode. Any pointers to the class/method which takes care of this
generation?
Thanks in advance,
~Kartheek.

Re: blockID generation

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Kartheek,

(- hdfs-user (bcc'd))

Its simple enough to trace back a FileSystem -> DFSClient -> NameNode call in code, for the operation of creating a file (and thereafter a block).

What you are looking for, specifically, is in FSNamesystem#allocateBlock(…).

Re: blockID generation

Posted by kartheek muthyala <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks you all for the reply.
~Kartheek