Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/05 05:24:04 UTC

What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Stefan Schmidt has found our first configuration problem in M5, namely
that the listener name in the ejb builder in config.tomcat.xml points
half to tomcat and half to jetty.  This is easy to fix by hand (change
JettyWebContainer to TomcatWebContainer).  However I doubt we want to
rerelease M5 to fix this.  What do we want to do about issues like
this?  One possibility is to have an "errata" page clearly linked from
the download page.  There must be some other possibilities, any ideas?

thanks
david jencks

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
I apologize for being so sloppy today. :-( I do see
config.xml.bak in the zip distribution.

=== message truncated ===

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
Never mind, it is being created later.

Thanks
Anita

--- anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> problems
> > here that are

> the
> > zip image that
> (with
> > the TranQL and
> > these but these
> > issues which 100%
> > problems I think that
> > (with individual
>
>       In  geronimo-1.0-M5.zip I see a
> config.xml.bak!
> This issue will not affect anyone one.
>
> Thanks
> Anita

> > discovered which
> > thing that can
> that
> > would cause us
> installer
> > is itself a
> > another M6 to replace
> > the M5 image with
> not
> > affect the TCK
> > better solution

> just
> > redoing it...
> > >>

> > > I meant potentially dropping it from M5 (as
> Kevan
> > alluded to) ...
> > > not from history.  :-)

> "in
> > your face"
> > installer itself.
> > include on the

> > project.  How "in
> > (@!#@!@-ed, and if you
> > >>

> > > I wasn't thinking that kind of "in your face"
> :-)
> >    Rather,
> > > something along the lines of:
> > > %link%   this is an executable JAR, so install
> it
> > using java -jar
> > > geronimo-1.0-M5-installer.jar.
> > > WARNING: If no selections are made in the
> > installation both
> > > containers will be included with common
> > (colliding) port numbers.
> > > It is recommended that you choose either
> > Tomcat-only, Jetty-only,
> > > or explicitly specify the ports for each
> > container.
> >
> > Sure!  That's easy.  But isn't there another
> problem
> > w/ the
> > installer?  Can we put the additional errata
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

--- "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2005, at 11:29 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>

> > Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> here that are

> zip image that
> the TranQL and
> these but these
> issues which 100%
> problems I think that
> (with individual

      In  geronimo-1.0-M5.zip I see a config.xml.bak!
This issue will not affect anyone one.

Thanks
Anita

> discovered which
> thing that can
> would cause us
> is itself a
> another M6 to replace
> the M5 image with
> affect the TCK
> better solution
> >>>
> >> I don't think we're advocating dropping it - just
> redoing it...
> >>

> > I meant potentially dropping it from M5 (as Kevan
> alluded to) ...
> > not from history.  :-)

> your face"
> installer itself.
> include on the
> >>>

> >> The geronimo download page is governed by the
> project.  How "in
> >> your  face" are you thinking here?
> >> Probably don't want "If you use this, your
> (@!#@!@-ed, and if you
> >> don't like it, you can go *(@#!@*@!#)!@#"
> >> :D
> >>

> > I wasn't thinking that kind of "in your face"  :-)
>    Rather,
> > something along the lines of:
> > %link%   this is an executable JAR, so install it
> using java -jar
> > geronimo-1.0-M5-installer.jar.
> > WARNING: If no selections are made in the
> installation both
> > containers will be included with common
> (colliding) port numbers.
> > It is recommended that you choose either
> Tomcat-only, Jetty-only,
> > or explicitly specify the ports for each
> container.
>
> Sure!  That's easy.  But isn't there another problem
> w/ the
> installer?  Can we put the additional errata there?

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net

lose."   -- Jim Elliot

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
[...]

TCK results?  If possible I think this would be a better solution than

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
As Joe has pointed out, I've pulled the installer issue into this discussion
and improperly associated it with the config.tomcat.xml issue.

The reticence I remarked upon was from the original posts on this thread. I
wasn't attempting to be critical. Any reticence would be only natural and in
fact proper -- we can't ship a new Milestone for every problem we find.

In answer to your question -- AFAIK, the stop-the-presses issue lies solely
with the Installer. I'm not familiar with the implementation/configuration
of the installer, but I assume that changing the default port number for
Tomcat would fix the problem. Perhaps this is already in process? I'm not
able to download the installer, now...

There are known issues with M5 (now including Stefan's issue). However,
they're issues properly handled via errata, build-from-HEAD, nightly build,
etc.

--kevan

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
>	 <87...@apache.org> <b8...@mail.gmail.com>

I probably screwed up and viewed any problem that required the customer to do
something as fixable issue.  If this is the case my bad.

Matt

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Without a really big disclaimer on the download page, my guess is that
approximately 100% of new-to-Geronimo M5 Installer users will run into this
problem. All you have to do is keep hitting "Next". I did. I just never
started my "installed" server, because I'd already tested the zipped/tarred
version of code (my mistake).

I don't think an errata is sufficient and I don't see how we can ignore such
a visible issue. This may be a bit heretical, but one option is not to
release the installer. Although this is a server issue, you don't hit this
problem in normal usage when running from an zip/tar "install" (at least I
haven't run into any other problems, am I missing something?).

Most first-time users will choose the install download thinking they're
making their lives easier, when actually, they've just made their lives more
difficult. Although some last-minute hard work went into the installer, IMO,
the M5 installer is of limited value for first-time Geronimo users. I also

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> I think that will work but users won't find Geronimo incredibly
>> useful if they have to pull a whole new build to fix a single problem.
>

> Which will work?
>
> i think the errata is necessary so people will know what to do.  As  for
> a quick M6?  I think it depends on the %-age of people that will  hit
> the problem.

Tactically this is the right answer...no question.

>> I discovered a similar problem in TranQL that the 1.1 SNAPSHOT
>> doesn't generate the right SQL syntax for DB2 and had to tweak the
>> Syntax Generator.  So the option going forward is for someone to  pull
>> TranQL 1.2-SNAPSHOT which wil most likely break their build  too
>> because of the serialization problem (probably not likely with  my
>> example but a high probability for other types of fixes).
>

> Does this mean as of now, we have a problem w/ DB2?

Only for one type EJB 2.1 CMP interaction.  Testing the fix as we speak.  Its a
one class (non-disruptive :) change.

>> Sachin had the right idea of highlighting the issues with
>> serialVersionUIDs but that was part of a larger problem.  I'll open  a
>> feature JIRA that focuses on improved serviceability which would
>> encompass these recurring issues and we'll look for someone to step
>> up to the plate and put a strategy together.
>>

> yes, I think that's a different (but very important) issue altogether.

Service is hard and not a lot of fun.  Kind of pushing a boulder up hill.   But
sooooo important :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 5, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I think that will work but users won't find Geronimo incredibly
> useful if they have to pull a whole new build to fix a single problem.

Which will work?

i think the errata is necessary so people will know what to do.  As
for a quick M6?  I think it depends on the %-age of people that will
hit the problem.

> I discovered a similar problem in TranQL that the 1.1 SNAPSHOT
> doesn't generate the right SQL syntax for DB2 and had to tweak the
> Syntax Generator.  So the option going forward is for someone to
> pull TranQL 1.2-SNAPSHOT which wil most likely break their build
> too because of the serialization problem (probably not likely with
> my example but a high probability for other types of fixes).

Does this mean as of now, we have a problem w/ DB2?

> Sachin had the right idea of highlighting the issues with
> serialVersionUIDs but that was part of a larger problem.  I'll open
> a feature JIRA that focuses on improved serviceability which would
> encompass these recurring issues and we'll look for someone to step
> up to the plate and put a strategy together.

yes, I think that's a different (but very important) issue altogether.

> Thoughts?

Go man, go...

geirm@apache.org

Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I think that will work but users won't find Geronimo incredibly useful if they
have to pull a whole new build to fix a single problem.  I discovered a similar

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Oct 4, 2005, at 11:24 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> Stefan Schmidt has found our first configuration problem in M5,
> namely that the listener name in the ejb builder in
> config.tomcat.xml points half to tomcat and half to jetty.  This is
> easy to fix by hand (change JettyWebContainer to
> TomcatWebContainer).  However I doubt we want to rerelease M5 to
> fix this.  What do we want to do about issues like this?  One
> possibility is to have an "errata" page clearly linked from the
> download page.

That's a great idea.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Oct 4, 2005, at 8:24 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> Stefan Schmidt has found our first configuration problem in M5,
> namely that the listener name in the ejb builder in
> config.tomcat.xml points half to tomcat and half to jetty.  This is
> easy to fix by hand (change JettyWebContainer to
> TomcatWebContainer).  However I doubt we want to rerelease M5 to
> fix this.  What do we want to do about issues like this?  One
> possibility is to have an "errata" page clearly linked from the
> download page.  There must be some other possibilities, any ideas?

I can also put a little work into getting unstable builds going
again.  Actually, we have them for the most part, just no way to
update the geronimo version number in an easy fashion like 'maven -
Dgeronimo.version=1.0-234534'

As far as an errata, we can pull a mini-changelog from Jira.  I do a
similar thing at OpenEJB:  http://www.openejb.org/Latest+Unstable.
Ted Husted was very nice and setup a confluence space for us at
http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO.
Maybe we can be pragmatic and avoid a long discussion on which wiki
to use and agree for now only to use the confluence one for specific
things like tapping into JIRA.

Anyway, those are just some options.  More thoughts welcome.

-David