Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2010/05/22 16:02:22 UTC

[ApacheDS] ready for next release?

hello guys,

     There are some cool features introduced recently into ApacheDS
like Config in DIT (CiDIT) and
     replication(based on RFC4533) and think that this is time for a
major notable release.

     May be this is also the time for considering the new versioning
scheme[1] we discussed last year

wdyt?

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/25m6ilqzuj7vng24

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: [ApacheDS] ready for next release?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>wrote:

> hello guys,
>
>     There are some cool features introduced recently into ApacheDS
> like Config in DIT (CiDIT) and
>     replication(based on RFC4533) and think that this is time for a
> major notable release.

+1

>     May be this is also the time for considering the new versioning
> scheme[1] we discussed last year

Switching to another thread for this discussion.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org

Re: [ApacheDS] ready for next release?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/22/10 4:02 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> hello guys,
>
>       There are some cool features introduced recently into ApacheDS
> like Config in DIT (CiDIT) and
>       replication(based on RFC4533) and think that this is time for a
> major notable release.

Most certainly, yes.
Here is what we need to do in order to get this release done :
- do a bug parade. We have more than one hundred of pending JIRAs, some
of them being critical
- document the configInDit feature
- document the replication
- of course test it thouroughsly
- write a migration tool, from server.xml to ldif
- include the ADS 2.0 config in studio (can take a bit more time)

All of this can be done in the next 3 weeks, IMO.
>       May be this is also the time for considering the new versioning
> scheme[1] we discussed last year

Absolutely. We should stop using a versioning scheme that is confusing
for most of us, and more important, to users.

The intial reason why we introduced this scheme ws tha we decided to
move to Java 1.5, and we thought (how stupidly) that the tomcat scheme
(ie, tomcat 5.5 was tomcat version 5 for java 5) was good. It wasn't.

So now, I would rather release a 2.0 asap, with milestone. The ne
version will be 3.0, with milestone too.

In fact, this is the Httpd version scheme, which is way better. New
features can be included in minor versions (2.1, 2.2...) and bug fixes
in fix versions (2.0.1, 2.0.2...)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: [ApacheDS] ready for next release?

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> hello guys,
>
>      There are some cool features introduced recently into ApacheDS
> like Config in DIT (CiDIT) and
>      replication(based on RFC4533) and think that this is time for a
> major notable release.

These are great new features.

>      May be this is also the time for considering the new versioning
> scheme[1] we discussed last year

+1

The fact that configuration now happens by editing the ou=config tree
(or by editing LDIF files) it totally different from the previous
configuration of the server.xml file.

I think it is to early for an 2.0.0-RC, but a 2.0.0-M1 should fit.

Kind Regards,
Stefan