Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Anders Synstad <an...@synstad.net> on 2021/01/15 10:02:50 UTC

NPE problem in PutSplunk processor

Hi.

Anyone experienced NullPointerExceptions in PutSplunk? The only thing
logged is
the following:

2020-11-11 12:04:06,340 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-60]
o.a.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk PutSplunk[id=<uuid>]
PutSplunk[id=<uuid>] failed to process session due to
java.lang.NullPointerException; Processor Administratively Yielded for 1
sec: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException: null

The root cause of the NPE is probably something external to NiFi and isn't
the
main problem. The problem is that the flowfile isn't finalized correctly, so
it's not sent to the failure relationship. It's just stuck in the incoming
connection until the processor gets restarted and starts processing the
incoming connection from the start again, so the incoming connection slowly
builds up with these until it's full. We've experienced the problem on NiFi
versions from 1.7 (probably earlier) all the way up to latest 1.12.1.

Is this a bug in PutSplunk not correctly handling this exception? Not fluent
in java, but guessing maybe this happens around line 207 in the PutSplunk
code?

https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/aa741cc5967f62c3c38c2a47e712b7faa6fe19ff/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-splunk-bundle/nifi-splunk-processors/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/processors/splunk/PutSplunk.java#L207

Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Anders

NIFI Lookup processor service - NOT by GUID

Posted by John Gunvaldson <jg...@cox.net>.
All,

General question on exploring the option for building a lookup service for NIFI.

Problem 1 --> When deploying a flow to another environment - GUID is not maintained, often the flow will obtain another GUID upon deployment into another environment.

Problem 2 --> If you have automated a service in another environment (lets call it Airflow for an example) - and job is to use the NipyApi, find the processor, and schedule the processor or alter a property or change a metric or something

Using NipyApi and using GUID - no problem, can pretty quickly identify the processor and do your work

However, now you have moved that flow to another environment - and the processor no longer has the same GUID, in fact changes after every deployment, constant change

I am exploring some ideas on how to solve this.

1. Build a cache of everything in NIFI - and if you traverse the cache along the expected Processor Group path — Root Canvas — Process Group A — Process Group B - then look for your processor named this here - and return something identifiable - probably current GUID?

2. Other ideas - what kind of “Recursive Name Lookup Services” have others built that work in this scenario?

Thanks in Advance
~ John

Re: NPE problem in PutSplunk processor

Posted by Anders Synstad <an...@synstad.net>.
Apologize for the very late reply on this thread, but finally had time to
see
if I was able to reproduce the problem in our LAB environment.

The LAB environment is a 3 node cluster running NiFi v1.13.2 on Ubuntu
18.04
with java version:

  ii  openjdk-11-jre-headless:amd64               11.0.9.1+1-0ubuntu1~18.04

In the end, the solution to reproducing the problem in our LAB ended up
being
introducing a fair amount of packet loss on the Splunk indexer peers:

  $ tc qdisc add dev eno1 root netem loss 25%

With NiFi logging on DEBUG, we where able to get the following stracktrace
and
message:

2021-05-03 13:08:01,295 DEBUG [Timer-Driven Process Thread-9]
o.a.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk
PutSplunk[id=8b9bdc76-9f55-3840-b6c6-78daea74993f] Sender is not connected,
closing sender
2021-05-03 13:08:01,295 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-9]
o.a.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk
PutSplunk[id=8b9bdc76-9f55-3840-b6c6-78daea74993f]
PutSplunk[id=8b9bdc76-9f55-3840-b6c6-78daea74993f] failed to process
session due to java.lang.NullPointe
rException; Processor Administratively Yielded for 1 sec:
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at
org.apache.nifi.processor.util.put.sender.SocketChannelSender.write(SocketChannelSender.java:98)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processor.util.put.sender.ChannelSender.send(ChannelSender.java:84)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk$2.process(PutSplunk.java:268)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:2365)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:2333)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk.processDelimitedMessages(PutSplunk.java:230)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.splunk.PutSplunk.onTrigger(PutSplunk.java:166)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1173)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ConnectableTask.invoke(ConnectableTask.java:214)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:117)
        at org.apache.nifi.engine.FlowEngine$2.run(FlowEngine.java:110)
        at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
        at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305)
        at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305)
        at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
        at
java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
2021-05-03 13:08:01,296 WARN [Timer-Driven Process Thread-9]
o.a.n.controller.tasks.ConnectableTask Administratively Yielding
PutSplunk[id=8b9bdc76-9f55-3840-b6c6-78daea74993f] due to uncaught
[...]

Not a Java developer, but a wild guess that it might be an unhandled
exception
at line 268 in the PutSplunk.java code related to the initial DEBUG line?

https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/aa741cc5967f62c3c38c2a47e712b7faa6fe19ff/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-splunk-bundle/nifi-splunk-processors/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/processors/splunk/PutSplunk.java#L268

Hopefully this can help to identify the problem we're experiencing.

When it comes to *why* we are experiencing packet loss in the first place,
that
is something we'll need to investigate internally.

Regards,
Anders

Posted by Anders Synstad <an...@synstad.net>.
Appreciate you looking into this.

> Is the error occurring when the processor starts?

No, usually comes at random times when it is running. Presumably when
"something" happens with the network or the connection against Splunk?

> If that's when a flow file is being processed, is there anything special
> about this flow file (like no content at all)?

Not as far as I have been able to identify. I've run the same data in
parallell
and it might fail in one pipeline and not the other. With the same data.

As far as I can tell, when I restart the failing PutSplunk processors,
it'll
reprocess the failed flowfiles, and they tend to work just fine with no
problems next time around.

We have a number of PutSplunk processors. Some are getting these NPEs,
while
others are not. While not conclusive, the PutSplunk processors that seem to

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anders Synstad <an...@synstad.net>.

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anders,