Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2011/11/26 22:07:18 UTC

[discuss] adopt a new skin for commons sites

Hi all guys,
at Maven we have just released a new skin[1], I quickly did an
experiment and applied it on my beloved digester, deploying the site
on my personal [2] ASF space.
WDYT? Is there any chance to have it applied here at commons?
It would involve a little modification to the parent pom[3].
Any feedback would me much more than appreciated, many thanks in advance!
Simo

[1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/digester
[3] https://gist.github.com/1396291

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [discuss] adopt a new skin for commons sites

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 November 2011 10:23, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 28/11/2011 10:37, sebb a écrit :
>
>> +1.
>>
>> The reports are not displayed by default, so I don't see what the problem
>> is.
>> Besides, as Luc says, they are useful to some.
>
> Some reports are displayed by default and completely useless in my opinion,
> for example the project plugins and the plugin management pages:
>
> http://commons.apache.org/configuration/plugins.html
> http://commons.apache.org/configuration/plugin-management.html

I agree on those.

> The "About" link under "Project Information" is also redundant with the
> "Home" link. And the Apache License is also linked twice.

I agree the information links could/should be tidied.
In particular, the License link is incorrect.

However, people may expect to find an About link, so I'm not so sure
about removing that.

The tidyup should be done regardless of any change to the skin.
And I assume (hope!) it is independent of any change to the skin.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Simo,

I love the new skin. I would love to see this instead of the old stuff
for commons. Who really is attracted by a site design like that we
have now (in times of designed computers, iphones etc)? It seems to me
many youngster contribute to the projects with the best looking sites,
not to the projects which have the most use :-)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I like the skin. Does it also provide syntax highlighting for Java snippets

Not sure if fluido does it out of the box, but if not, we can easily
add this functionality. It is just a few lines javascript and css.
Actually the bootstrap css makers recommend "prettyprint":
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/#typography
(look for "pretty" then you see it quickly)

Somehow I was pretty sure Simo already mentioned this is included.

> I haven't tested the skin on a wide screen, does it expand on the whole
> width or is there a maximum width? The readability is usually considered
> better when the lines of text aren't too long.

Fluido uses the "container-fluid" container, which is the
recommendation for doc sites. But you can "fix" the size of the
content columns but adding a css class like for example: <div
class="span10">text</div>

> A new skin could be the opportunity to rethink the content of the sites. In
> particular I find the menus too verbose and messy. The Maven reports are
> often useless for a public website, for example who cares about the
> Checkstyle or the Findbugs reports besides the developers?

+1

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [discuss] adopt a new skin for commons sites

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 27, 2011, at 11:42, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2011, at 5:54 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>> Do we have a Maven Jira?
>
> I assume you are asking if anyone has opened an issue in Maven's Jira?
>

>> Any interest in a short burst of [commons] energy from this ML to
>> address these kinds of issues with [maven]? Site generation comes up
>> over and over. Do we have any contact  with Maven developers?
>

> There are a couple of Maven PMC members who are also Commons PMC members.  Simone was recently elected a committer on Maven so he has the ability to fix anything he needs/wants to.

Well congratulations to Simo!

This looks like a great opportunity for Commons to influence Maven.

If Simo (or others) doesn't want to take the time to address the site
issues we have directly, then perhaps he can review patches from local
Commons Maven gurus who do want to take the time to fix things.

I'm just trying to nudge :)

Gary

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 27, 2011, at 7:19, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 November 2011 11:40, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>> While the l'n'f can be easily changed - it is just a matter of assign
>> styles - not all strict commons customizations are not included in the
>> skin, since it is a general skin with the purpose to serve not only
>> commons.
>
> The changes I did for Commons are actually needed on other ASF projects.
> For example, they are also used on HttpComponents.
>
> The problem is that the Maven site generation is not flexible enough,
> particularly for multi-component projects.
>
>> I don't see other solution ATM than forking the skin if we intend to
>
> Does the skin involve more than just CSS changes?
>
> If not, then it would be easy enough to replace the Commons CSS with
> the updated version if people agree with the new look.
>
> Note: this is another restriction of Maven site generation - AFAIK
> it's not possible to change the template independently of the CSS.

Do we have a Maven Jira?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
reports selection is already supported, have a look at[1]
HTH,
Simo

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/examples/selective-project-info-reports.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.