Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Sheehy, John" <jo...@factore.net> on 2001/02/09 13:19:48 UTC

Read the correct configuration files for remote clients

Hi,

remote client category : com.myco.client.ClientA
server : 			should read the configuration file
com.myco.client.ClientA.lcf

I have started implementing a LogServer to which clients connect using
SocketAppender.
I would like the server to read a configuration file for the client when it
connects and to store the
log output in a different file for each client.  The server should read the
appropriate configuration file
for each client based on its category name and not its originating IP
address.

The category name is not retrieved until the first LogEvent arrives at which
point the configuration file
based on the IP address has been read and a Hierarchy attached to the
SocketNode.

If anyone has any suggestions to get around this problem it would be
appreciated.

John Sheehy

Re: ObjectRenderer

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.

The code currently in CVS gives direct access to the raw object message. It's easy to make a new distribution.

- Check out the code.
- Install ANT in case you haven't done so already.
- cd to jakarta-log4j/build/
- type "ant javadoc build"

You should have a new build after 30 seconds . It will be called jakarta-log4j-v1.1. and will be placed on ../../dump.

 I can't promise a date for an official release though. Cheers, Ceki

At 15:42 09.02.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have read in an older append that the Version 1.1 of Log4J will give
>you the posibility to access the logged message object in the Appender.
>I have found some hints on that in the CSV but I wonder if there is an
>estimate when these changes will go public. This would be really
>helpfull since I want to log to JMS and write logging entrys in a
>database afterwards. Sending the logged Objects directely vis JMS
>instead of Strings would help.
>Any ideas on that?
>Regards
>Armin Rauch

----
Ceki Gülcü           e-mail: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
av. de Rumine 5              ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
CH-1005 Lausanne
Switzerland            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15

ObjectRenderer

Re: Read the correct configuration files for remote clients

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Hello John,

I don't think you can get around the problem without writing/tweaking code. What you need is to create a simple protocol:

client: connect to server
client: announce ID
server: ack ID, create new hierarchy for ID
client: send logging event
client: senf logging event
.
.
client: disconnect

I think this is the minimal protocol. Let me know when you are done. Ceki

----