Posted to mod_dtcl@tcl.apache.org by Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> on 2001/07/24 21:14:34 UTC

Tcl_Read()

Hello.

I've been playing with i18n support int mod_dtcl (on Linux).

I set LANG to pl.iso8859-2 (for those who do not know - this sets system
encoding to iso8859-2).

       Tcl_Read  is  similar  to  Tcl_ReadChars,  except  that it |
       doesn't do encoding conversions, regardless of  the  chanĀ­ |
       nel's encoding.  It is deprecated and exists for backwards |
       compatibility with non-internationalized  Tcl  extensions. |
       It  consumes  bytes  from  channel and stores them in buf, |
       performing  end-of-line  translations  on  the  way.   The |
       return  value  of  Tcl_Read  is the number of bytes, up to |
       toRead, written in buf.  The buffer produced  by  Tcl_Read |
       is  not  NULL terminated.  Its contents are valid from the |
       zeroth position up to and excluding the position indicated |
       by the return value.                                       |

Note the fact that it's depreciated and does not handle UTF-8 the way it
should.

This is a fact - when I changed system_encoding=Tcl_GetEncoding(...)
to Tcl_GetEncoding(interp,NULL), some Polish fonts failed.

I'd try and convert it to Tcl_ReadChars(), but I'm a bit afraid I'll
mess sth up.

David, care to make it use Tcl_ReadChars()? I'll go back to the i18n
problem again.

--
WK

Re: Tcl_Read()

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@apache.org>.
Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org> writes:

> I've been playing with i18n support int mod_dtcl (on Linux).
>
> I set LANG to pl.iso8859-2 (for those who do not know - this sets
> system encoding to iso8859-2).

> David, care to make it use Tcl_ReadChars()? I'll go back to the i18n
> problem again.

I've done that and committed it to CVS.  Please test it out and let me
know how it works.

--
David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/