Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by troy giunipero <Tr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/05/25 02:52:07 UTC

Tomcat Native library on java.library.path ?

Hello,

I recently installed Apache Tomcat 6.0.10 and have been getting the
following message upon startup:

   INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
   performance in production environments was not found on the
   java.library.path:

On Windows XP, I have the following paths added to the PATH environment
variable:

   C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\bin;C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.10\lib;%PATH%;

I'm a bit stumped:  Surely the Native library is the
apache-tomcat-6.0.10\lib folder, and surely the java.library.path refers
to PATH.  So what library needs to be added where?

I posted a more in depth question regarding this on jGuru here:

   http://www.jguru.com/forums/view.jsp?EID=1337110

I've also noticed several other beginners out there with the same or a
similar question.

Please somebody help.  If there's any information I haven't provided
that might clarify an explanation, please let me know and I will respond
asap.

Kind regards,
troy

Re: Tomcat Native library on java.library.path ?

Posted by Foo Shyn <fo...@optegra.com.my>.
Hmm i haven't start using Tomcat 6, but i guess that the
java.library.path might actually refers to your JDK? Which version of
JDK are you using?

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
The Tomcat Native library (tcnative-1.dll) is optional. (Note that the
log message says "INFO" - it's not an error.) If that DLL is installed
it should be in Tomcat's bin sub-directory.
--
Len

Posted by Lakshmi Venkataraman <la...@foundrynet.com>.
Recently, I saw a similar problem on Solaris9  with Tomcat 5.5.23.
Then ldd tcnative-1.so revealed that a certain library (in this case,
libgcc.so)  was not in the path.  By adding that library to the path,
Tomcat
stopped complaining about not being able to find the native library.

On windows, download tomcat source files, create an eclipse project with
the tomcat source.
Open Catalina.bat, modify the java command line that starts Tomcat and
add debug options.
DEBUG_OPTS=-Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=5005

Notice suspend=y. This will suspend Tomcat until you attach a debugger.
You can put a break point in Library.java or APRLifeCycleListener.java
and see what is going on.

--Lakshmi

Posted by troy giunipero <Tr...@Sun.COM>.
> P.S. You work for Sun and you're using Windows?

Ouch, that hurt :-D .  Funny you should ask though.  I'm actually a
NetBeans technical writer and I'm trying to understand what the IDE does
specifically when it uses the embedded Tomcat.  I figured trying to set
up Apache Tomcat on its own was the best way of going about this.

Admittedly, it's pretty embarrassing that 99% of the tutorials on
netbeans.org have screenshots using Windows.  That's just because most
all tech writers use Windows.  I just switched to Ubuntu myself about 2
weeks ago, but I'm still not entirely comfortable with it.

Thanks very much for your help!

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
On 5/25/07, Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
> P.S. You work for Sun and you're using Windows?

It could be that he needs to use one of the many vital application
programs that aren't supported on the Solaris platform. World of
Warcraft, for example. :-)
--
Len

RE: Tomcat Native library on java.library.path ?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Troy.Giunipero@Sun.COM [mailto:Troy.Giunipero@Sun.COM]
> Subject: Tomcat Native library on java.library.path ?
>
> Surely the Native library is the apache-tomcat-6.0.10\lib folder

Surely, it isn't.  As Len pointed out, it's the bin directory.

> and surely the java.library.path refers to PATH.

By default, but only on a Windows platform; on UNIX or Linux systems,
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is used instead.  On any kind
of platform, setting the system property on the command line overrides
or extends the value from the environment variable.

> So what library needs to be added where?

Since you're running on Windows, the native library is available already
compiled and linked, as noted in the APR doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html

In case you miss the link to the download site, it's here:
http://tomcat.heanet.ie/native/

Just put the .dll into Tomcat's bin directory.

 - Chuck

P.S. You work for Sun and you're using Windows?

and its attachments from all computers.