Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> on 2003/01/23 14:50:54 UTC

Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

All:

Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
To be precise:

cocoon-1.7.x
cocoon-1.8
cocoon-2.0
cocoon-2.0.1
cocoon-2.0.2
cocoon-2.0.3

Vadim

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Christian Haul wrote:

>On 23.Jan.2003 -- 03:24 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>

>>>All:
>>>
>>>Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
>>>To be precise:
>>>
>>>cocoon-1.7.x
>>>cocoon-1.8
>>>cocoon-2.0
>>>cocoon-2.0.1
>>>cocoon-2.0.2
>>>cocoon-2.0.3
>>>

>>Before removing anything, we must find a place to archive these old
>>versions. We cannot loose them.
>>

>Since the 1.x branch is in stasis, we should at least keep the last
>version.

Yup. That's 1.8.2.

> Of the 2.x branch, we should keep at least the previous
>version in addition to the current one.

Ok, this will be 2.0.4 and 2.0.3.

>For the rest, we could setup instructions on how to pull a particular
>release from the CVS. <dream>We could setup a CGI that delivers an
>arbitrary release from CVS and delivers a zip file. Short of that, we
>could distribute an ant file that does it.</dream>

Before dream came true, does anybody want to provide place for storing
all the other releases?
I'm making copy for myself but it will be offline.

Vadim

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 23.Jan.2003 -- 03:24 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> >All:
> >
> >Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
> >To be precise:
> >
> >cocoon-1.7.x
> >cocoon-1.8
> >cocoon-2.0
> >cocoon-2.0.1
> >cocoon-2.0.2
> >cocoon-2.0.3
>

> Before removing anything, we must find a place to archive these old
> versions. We cannot loose them.

Since the 1.x branch is in stasis, we should at least keep the last
version. Of the 2.x branch, we should keep at least the previous

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 24 January 2003 03:37, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> > Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> >> www.cocoondev.org/dist/ ?
> >> www.cocoondev.org/dist/cocoon/ ?
> >>
> >> :)
> >
> > history.cocoondev.org ?
>
> I remain against removing any old release from the official distribution
> directory.

Stefano has a strong legacy about URL link deterioration, which, IHHO, is a
bigger menance to the web than anything else. Dying links are a real problem,
and if we as a community are advocating technologies and methods to preserve
all links, this matter should not be taken lightly.

IMHO, not only should the official releases be maintained, but also all files
that have been published, as they may be referenced by other work we have no
clue about.

If the files are moved to a different server, then the URLs should be
redirected, and the redirection to be maintained.

I haven't read the "cocoon.apache.org" thread yet, but I guess there might be
an issue regarding redirecting from the old xml.apache.org to the new server
as well, for all content.

Hard disk space is cheap. I am willing to donate 30GB of dedicated cocoon
storage to be installed on the cocoon.apache.org server, if necessary.

Niclas

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:

>>> tonight (gmt+1)
>>>
>>> target: www.cocoondev.org/...?
>>

>> www.cocoondev.org/dist/ ?
>> www.cocoondev.org/dist/cocoon/ ?
>> :)
>

> history.cocoondev.org ?

+1, Excellent choice!

Vadim

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I assume that aoindustries is where cocoondev is hosted right?

exactly

outerthought.net, where the previous wiki was hosted, was piggybacking
on our office connectivity (which is free & fast, but comes with no SLA)

I think we are doing the community a better service with the current
setup, which doesn't give us hands-on access and comes at a price, but
at least we can now expect backups to be made (or we won't pay his bill
anymore)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>> (In the light of recent experiences)... Got BACKUP? (DLT/DAT/Something?)
>
> http://www.aoindustries.com/servlet/com.aoindustries.website.Backup
> http://www.aoindustries.com/servlet/com.aoindustries.website.AOSecurity
> and
> http://www.aoindustries.com/servlet/com.aoindustries.website.Suspendo as
> a remote backup

I assume that aoindustries is where cocoondev is hosted right? Looks
marvelous, I was just pointing that out as I lost one of my machines last
year (CVS+EMAIL+stuff), and it took me 4 months to get (some of) the data
back :-(

    Pier

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> Suggestions? Steven? ;-)
>>

>> tonight (gmt+1)
>>
>> target: www.cocoondev.org/...?
>

> www.cocoondev.org/dist/ ?
> www.cocoondev.org/dist/cocoon/ ?
> :)

history.cocoondev.org ?

Sylvain

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Suggestions? Steven? ;-)
>

> tonight (gmt+1)
>
> target: www.cocoondev.org/...?

www.cocoondev.org/dist/ ?
www.cocoondev.org/dist/cocoon/ ?
:)

Let me know when copy is ready (and URL) and I'll update download page
on xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/

Vadim

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Suggestions? Steven? ;-)

tonight (gmt+1)

target: www.cocoondev.org/...?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
> To be precise:
>
> cocoon-1.7.x
> cocoon-1.8
> cocoon-2.0
> cocoon-2.0.1
> cocoon-2.0.2
> cocoon-2.0.3

Hrm ... are some of these (2.0?) referenced by the Cocoon books out there?
Would be good if the book versions remained available... (or if the
authors provide download links from their own sites?)

"Cocoon: Building XML Applications" by Matthew Langham and Carsten
Ziegeler uses 2.0 but includes it on CD.

"Cocoon 2 Programming" by Bill Brogden, Conrad D'Cruz and Mark Gaither
uses 2.0.2.

"Cocoon Developers Handbook" by Lajos Moczar and Jeremy Aston uses 2.0.3.

Andrew.

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 28 January 2003 04:09, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Where do I send the 30GB worth of RAID hard drives?
>
> hardware is only 0.01% of the problem, Niclas. Politics and human
> dynamics account for the remaining 99.99% and you can't fix that sending
> us something (unfortunately)

Sometimes I think we all would be better off without being involved in
anything ;o) Let the computers take over the decision making, long live the
SkyNet / Matrix (take your pick).

Niclas

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 25 January 2003 21:42, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>>Generally speaking, I agree. Especially if they could not be reproduced
>>>from CVS. Moreover, all releases should be available and not only the
>>>set we have now (see <dream/> in this thread). But given limited
>>>hardware, I think it's ok to archive it on another machine.
>>>
>>>What do you think?
>>
>>I say we do this incrementally:
>>
>>1) first we remove all the betas, alphas, release candidates from xml
>>and jakarta
>>
>>2) if the problem persists, we iterate again.
>>
>>for the future, we'll think about ways to decentralize the distribution
>>system even from the source.
>

> How could this possibly be a problem???
>
> We talk about 60MB download, a release every week would be ~3GB per year,
> let's say 10GB to accommodate for larger distros, and other stuff (3x).
>
> Where do I send the 30GB worth of RAID hard drives?

hardware is only 0.01% of the problem, Niclas. Politics and human
dynamics account for the remaining 99.99% and you can't fix that sending
us something (unfortunately)

anyway, it seems that jakarta uses *alone* several gigs of disk space
for nightly builds.

So, for now, we don't have to do anything.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
--On Saturday, January 25, 2003 2:42 PM +0100 Stefano Mazzocchi
<st...@apache.org> wrote:

> those are not minor releases. Those are "releases", a release is
> something that you might build your stuff upon. It's a contract.
> Books, for example, use these contracts for years (before a new
> edition outdates another one, but that edition can still be used)

Correct.  If you look at our new mirroring guidelines
(http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html), we're attempting to
advocate keeping releases in a stable place forever.  For example,
cocoon 2.0.4 source should always be available at:

http://www.apache.org/dist/xml/cocoon/source/cocoon-2.0.4-src.tar.gz

I don't think *releases* are our problem right now.  I believe it is
the nightly builds.  Those aren't official releases, and I don't
think we have the obligation to keep those around.

> Cocoon distribution is not the lastest version, is the *entire*
> collection of releases.

+1

> I say we do this incrementally:
>
> 1) first we remove all the betas, alphas, release candidates from
> xml and jakarta
>
> 2) if the problem persists, we iterate again.
>
> for the future, we'll think about ways to decentralize the
> distribution system even from the source.

+1.

If we only have *offical releases* and we still have a space crunch,
then we should buy more hard drive space.  That is our responsibility
as part of the ASF.   But, as Brian has pointed out, most of that is
in jakarta's /builds/ which contain nightly builds.  -- justin

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> All:
>>>
>>> Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
>>> To be precise:
>>>
>>> cocoon-1.7.x
>>> cocoon-1.8
>>> cocoon-2.0
>>> cocoon-2.0.1
>>> cocoon-2.0.2
>>> cocoon-2.0.3
>>

>> -1, Brian asked for space conservatism, but that doesn't mean to
>> destroy the history of this project.
>>
>> he refers to removing nighly builds, ancient alpha and beta versions.
>> releases should stay right where they are.
>

> And he refers to "every minor release and beta version". What about
> removing those? We have betas and candidate releases:
>
> Cocoon-2.0b1.zip
> Cocoon-2.0b2.zip
> Cocoon-2.0rc1a.zip
> cocoon-2.0rc2.zip

no problem removing those.

> We have minor releases:
>
> cocoon-2.0.1
> cocoon-2.0.2
> cocoon-2.0.3
> cocoon-2.0.4

those are not minor releases. Those are "releases", a release is
something that you might build your stuff upon. It's a contract. Books,
for example, use these contracts for years (before a new edition
outdates another one, but that edition can still be used)

> We can leave latest and previous release - 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 - and archive
> the rest on cocoondev.org.

I would like to keep all of our final releases in one place. I like
kernel.org that does that. I consider this historical value and also a
sense of respect to all those who may base their software on a version
of Cocoon and let it run for 20 years without changing it.

Cocoon distribution is not the lastest version, is the *entire*
collection of releases.

Damn, we advocate that open source software removes lock-ins, but how
about decades-long ones?

I'm strongly against fragmenting our distribution space on different
machines.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, I agree. Especially if they could not be
>> reproduced from CVS. Moreover, all releases should be available and
>> not only the set we have now (see <dream/> in this thread). But given
>> limited hardware, I think it's ok to archive it on another machine.
>

> so... where do we get from here?

Uhm... guess we are waiting for Stefano's reply or next Brian's mail...
Or we can recreate missing releases to speed up the process ;-)

Vadim

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> All:
>
> Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
> To be precise:
>
> cocoon-1.7.x
> cocoon-1.8
> cocoon-2.0
> cocoon-2.0.1
> cocoon-2.0.2
> cocoon-2.0.3

-1, Brian asked for space conservatism, but that doesn't mean to destroy
the history of this project.

he refers to removing nighly builds, ancient alpha and beta versions.
releases should stay right where they are. Forever.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> I meant GMT-5.
> (blush)
>
> Vadim

We know you are late ;-D

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>>> What's the new URL? I'd like to reflect this in the README / HEADER.
>>

>> history.cocoondev.org, please cross-check (I copied the .htaccess
>> files across, but they do obnoxious things - might as well drop them)
>

> Cool! Files are there, the rest (like cocoon.gif) is just icing :)
> I'll do cleanup today evening (EST, aka GMT+5).

I meant GMT-5.
(blush)

Vadim

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Remove old releases, Fwd: need some more web space conservatism again

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> Is it ok if I remove old Cocoon releases from the xml.apache.org?
>> To be precise:
>>
>> cocoon-1.7.x
>> cocoon-1.8
>> cocoon-2.0
>> cocoon-2.0.1
>> cocoon-2.0.2
>> cocoon-2.0.3
>

> IMO, I would not maintain copies of betas and RCs - so I won't copy
> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/old/ over.

Ok. Cocooners - who wants to keep 'em? Shout now!

> I'm in the process of moving files, that will be done in half an hour
> or so, and you can start cleaning up.
> /x2/www/xml.apache.org/cocoon1/dist is already done. cocoon2/dist
> strangely enough takes up more space?  ;-)

I wonder why ;)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org