Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Linda Walsh <sa...@tlinx.org> on 2011/10/20 10:16:51 UTC

Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...

I wanted to try to head off an  increasing spam count I'd gotten
since I upgraded my suse server to 11.4 ...

So I tried cpan to goto 3.3.2, but now...it says ..
no rules!...I've tried putting rules in just about every dir I can think
of...

I had it running as as a daemon before - I thought it ran as spamd, but
I could be wrong -- just that there have been user and group spamd
on my since I first installed SA a few years ag0, but I'd installed some
suse versions since then and they still worked, and I don't know
how they ran.  The latest incarnation didn't work as well, so went
back to try the cpan version...*ouch*...

where is it looking for it's rules, in /dev/null?!?

I tried running it as root, as spamd, giving it a home dir,
in /usr/share/SA, /var/lib/SA, /etc/mail/SA, (not to mention
~/.SA... )...

"spamassassin --lint" comes back 'silently'...no errors...

so if there are no errors, why does it claim it can't find any rules?

Ya'd think SA --lint would notice that as being a problem...?

:-(....

ideas?

Re: Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 01:16:51 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> I wanted to try to head off an  increasing spam count I'd gotten
> since I upgraded my suse server to 11.4 ...
>
> So I tried cpan to goto 3.3.2, but now...it says ..
> no rules!...I've tried putting rules in just about every dir I can
> think
> of...

never install from cpan direct !

if you like to get 3.3.2 then create 3.3.2 from cpan into a rpm that
are installeble is ok, after that run sa-update

last resort make a bug on opensuse to have if thay like unstable 3.3.2
as rpm, this is the best route

BUGs? (Re: Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...)_

Posted by Linda Walsh <sa...@tlinx.org>.

Linda Walsh wrote:

> Sorry, included that in my subject....
>
> I did run sa-update, all it says (put it in verbose mode) is that
> the rules are up to date.
>
> Initially it did download the rules into
> /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>/<more subdirs>.
>
> Those files are still there, but spamd is,
> apparently,  not seeing them.

---
	I finally solved this by copying all the rules from
/etc/mail/spamassassin into /usr/share/spamassassin...and then
it was all happy.

Of course this would seem to break multiple rules about where to keep the
various rule sets...but hey, maybe spamd didn't get the memo about where
it  was supposed to look...  I dunno...

	It IS looking in /var/lib/spamassassin, but that was failing, because it
couldn't find 'Mail::SpamAssassin/CompiledRegexps/body_0.pm'.

It's the file that includes all the compiled expressions.

The path structure under /var/lib/spamassassin is a bit confused/confusing.

That's what cased that error.  I.e. dir struct under /var/lib/spamassassin
looks like:

Ishtar:/var/lib/spamassassin> tree -FNhsR --filelimit 7
.
├── [  71]  3.003002/
│   ├── [4.0K]  updates_spamassassin_org/ [61 entries exceeds filelimit,
not opening dir]
│   └── [2.5K]  updates_spamassassin_org.cf
├── [  18]  compiled/
│   └── [  21]  5.012/
│       └── [  50]  3.003002/
###### under the 3.003002 dir under compiled is it gets interesting....
######    two trees for Mail/SA/CompiledRegexps, one rooted here,
###### but the other 'down' a level under 'auto'
###### (where the real binaries are.
│           ├── [  17]  auto/
│           │   └── [  25]  Mail/
│           │       └── [  28]  SpamAssassin/
│           │           └── [  35]  CompiledRegexps/
│           │               ├── [  54]  body_0/
│           │               │   ├── [   0]  body_0.bs
│           │               │   └── [1.3M]  body_0.so*
│           │               └── [ 51K]  body_0.pm      #was missing
│           ├── [237K]  bases_body_0.pl
│           └── [  25]  Mail/
│               └── [  28]  SpamAssassin/
│                   └── [  22]  CompiledRegexps/
│                       └── [ 51K]  body_0.pm         #copied to above
├── [2.6K]  user_prefs*
└── [2.6K]  user_prefs.template*

13 directories, 8 files

As for why it didn't find rules in /etc/mail/SA (it DID read /etc/mail/SA,
just didn't regard anything there as a rule)...so duping those files
into /usr/share/SA, made them magically become 'rules'....

I assume, of course, this is correct-by-design behavior?   ;-)
(*cough*)

Re: Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> I did run sa-update, all it says (put it in verbose mode) is that
> the rules are up to date.
>
> Initially it did download the rules into
> /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>/<more subdirs>.
>
> Those files are still there, but spamd is,
> apparently,  not seeing them.

Start 'spamassassin' from a command line with debugging enabled,
and observe reported paths it tries to find the rules, comparing
them to your actual installation:

  $ spamassassin -t -D <test.msg

If that goes well, try the same with spamc/spamd, giving
spamd a -D option (to enable debugging) and leave out
its -d option to prevent it from daemonizing.

  Mark

Re: Upgraded to new spamassassin(3.3.2(, and now it won't work (no rules.....ran sa-update, nada...

Posted by John ffitch <jp...@codemist.co.uk>.
Are you sure you are running the right spamd?  We (at University) run SA
3.3.2 on OpenSuse with no problems, but did have to pull the rules.

==John ff

Posted by Linda Walsh <sa...@tlinx.org>.

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.