Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com> on 2002/02/15 12:14:16 UTC

[OT] Moving WYPUG

Hi gang,

After a few months of outrageous instability, I am now moving WYPUG on
to a Linux server (redhat 7.2).  Using ApacheToolbox
(http://www.apachetoolbox.com) I have managed to get Apache, mod_perl
and MySQL up and running, along with a few Apache modules.  At this
point everything is running perfectly.

I now need to install some Perl modules (DBD-MySql, Image-Magick, etc).
Under ActivePerl on WYPUG's current Win2K box, I would simply use the
Perl Package Manager (PPM) to download and install these modules.  Is
there an equivalent under Unix?  If not, what's the best way to install
modules?  In short, what do I need to know?

A step-by-step guide would be great (I'm a 100% Unix newbie), but I
would also be extremely grateful for pointers to the relevant docs,
URI's, etc.

Thank you all in advance.

Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
West Yorkshire Perl User Group
http://wypug.pm.org/

Re: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by Jean-Michel Hiver <jh...@mkdoc.com>.
> I now need to install some Perl modules (DBD-MySql, Image-Magick, etc).
> Under ActivePerl on WYPUG's current Win2K box, I would simply use the
> Perl Package Manager (PPM) to download and install these modules.  Is
> there an equivalent under Unix?  If not, what's the best way to install
> modules?  In short, what do I need to know?

You might be willing to spend some time setting up CPAN.pm. It's a bit
of a hassle to get it working right, but once you're done it feels just
like PPM :-)

Cheers,
--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director

Re: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by Robert Landrum <rl...@capitoladvantage.com>.
At 7:44 AM -0500 2/15/02, fliptop wrote:

>the version of makerpm.pl you find may not work with rpm version 4.0
>or higher, this will fix that:
>
>572c572
><           } elsif ($rpm_version =~ /rpm\s+version\s+3\.+/i) {
>---
> >           } elsif ($rpm_version =~ /rpm\s+version\s+3|4\.+/i) {

Actually I don't think that really "fixes" it...

That's going to search for

rpm\s+version\s+3

or

4\.+

You want

} elsif ($rpm_version =~ /rpm\s+version\s+(?:3|4)\.+/i) {

Rob

--
When I used a Mac, they laughed because I had no command prompt. When
I used Linux, they laughed because I had no GUI.

Re: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by fliptop <fl...@peacecomputers.com>.
Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> I now need to install some Perl modules (DBD-MySql, Image-Magick, etc).
> Under ActivePerl on WYPUG's current Win2K box, I would simply use the
> Perl Package Manager (PPM) to download and install these modules.  Is
> there an equivalent under Unix?  If not, what's the best way to install
> modules?  In short, what do I need to know?
>
> A step-by-step guide would be great (I'm a 100% Unix newbie), but I
> would also be extremely grateful for pointers to the relevant docs,
> URI's, etc.

i'll toss in my $0.02 here - if you're running redhat, you can use
makerpm.pl to generate rpm's from your cpan source code.  i use this all
the time and have never had a problem.

http://www.perl.com/cs/user/query/q/6?id_topic=61

Re: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by Mark Fowler <ma...@twoshortplanks.com>.
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> I now need to install some Perl modules (DBD-MySql, Image-Magick, etc).
> Under ActivePerl on WYPUG's current Win2K box, I would simply use the
> Perl Package Manager (PPM) to download and install these modules.  Is
> there an equivalent under Unix?

You can get ppm for Linux.  I don't think many people use it.

> If not, what's the best way to install modules?  In short, what do I
> need to know?

(as root)

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell;                     [1]

(answer loads of really simple config questions the first time you
install - just accept the defaults)

cpan> install Acme::Buffy;

installs Acme::Buffy from source, hopefully asking you about
installing prerequisites first if it needs them (or just installs them
automatically if you selected "follow" during the config)

Later.

Mark.

[1] The command 'cpan' is often set up as an alias for this on many
systems

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              mark@twoshortplanks.com

RE: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
:: what's the best
:: > way to install modules?  In short, what do I need to know?
:: just type
:: perl -MCPAN -eshell
:: this will ask you some simple questions, about the nearest
:: mirror to you, and so on, if you are on the command-prompt,
:: type install Your::Module and it will fetch the module from
:: cpan, and install it...

Nico thank you so much for your prompt reply.  I really appreciate it.
Cheers!

Re: [OT] Moving WYPUG

Posted by masta <ma...@headlight.de>.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> After a few months of outrageous instability, I am now moving WYPUG on
> to a Linux server (redhat 7.2).  Using ApacheToolbox
Good idea ;))
(no i don't like redhat, but i like linux)