Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag> on 2017/11/21 13:33:27 UTC

apache 2.4.29: mod_http2 stucks from time to time

Hello Stefan,
  Hello Yann,

me the http2 bug tester is calling again ;-)

We've the problem "most probably" since apadhe 2.4.29 that http2 stucks
from time to time.

While running two bash curl while loops the one using http1.1 always
finishes in < 0.05s while the http2 one takes sometimes 0.4 to 20s to
finish. Sadly i can't reproduce this all the time - mostly more requests
more failures. As this is a production server i've no idea how to debug
as the http2 trace logs might flood the harddisk.

Thanks!

Greets,
Stefan

Re: apache 2.4.29: mod_http2 stucks from time to time

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
The fix went into trunk as r1816619 and in 2.4.x as r1816969 in 2.4.x.

Cheers,

Stefan

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hello,

here is the relevant commit:
https://github.com/icing/mod_h2/commit/51085e0c26da1f47ea9cf91930af8cef0dececb9

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hello Luca,

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi everybody,

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
Hey,

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hi,

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
Interesting. I assume that otherwise this host is the same (OS/CPU etc.) as others where it runs without probs? We are not ghosted by some strange blabla-lake hyper threading thingie singularity?

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hello,,

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hell Stefan,

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Hello Stefan,

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Stefan Eissing
<st...@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> Never done this, but https://www.howtoforge.com/setenvif_apache2 seems like one way to do make it work.

That is unfortunately for access logs. For error logs you'd need
something like <if> and LogLevel but this would be rough for a
protocol-like filter since all of the early work would not have the
boosted trace level.  Maybe a simple piped logger that discards traceN
messages w/o the interesting IP in them.

Probably something worth improving on.

Re: apache 2.4.29: mod_http2 stucks from time to time

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.

Posted by Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>.
Am 21.11.2017 um 15:45 schrieb Stefan Eissing:

>> Am 21.11.2017 um 14:33 schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>:
>>
>> Hello Stefan,
>>  Hello Yann,
>>
>> me the http2 bug tester is calling again ;-)
>
> And the day was going so well...

I'm sorry ;-)

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
> Am 21.11.2017 um 14:33 schrieb Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG <s....@profihost.ag>:
>
> Hello Stefan,
>  Hello Yann,
>
> me the http2 bug tester is calling again ;-)

And the day was going so well...

> We've the problem "most probably" since apadhe 2.4.29 that http2 stucks
> from time to time.

That must be Yann's code. ;-)

> While running two bash curl while loops the one using http1.1 always
> finishes in < 0.05s while the http2 one takes sometimes 0.4 to 20s to
> finish. Sadly i can't reproduce this all the time - mostly more requests
> more failures. As this is a production server i've no idea how to debug
> as the http2 trace logs might flood the harddisk.

Hmmm. Do you know if this happens waiting for a response or at the end of a connection? Or in the middle of a body? All GETs or also POSTs?

-Stefan