Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com> on 2009/02/10 23:38:46 UTC

Trouble with cluster and JMX

Hi,

I'm brand new to clustering and read through the docs at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html to get a better
understanding of how it works.  I tried the settings I would have expected
to work, and on startup, I can see both tomcat's communicate and join the
cluster (via standard logging).  However, it seems as though my sessions are
not replicating properly.

Given that I probably messed something up along the line, I wanted to try
and see if I could enable better logging.  At the bottom of the how-to page,
it indicates that monitoring can be done via JMX.  So I enabled JMX, and
launched jConsole to connect.  However, once connected, I don't see any
cluster MBeans defined anywhere.  Am I missing something obvious somewhere?
I've pasted an excerpt of my startup log at the bottom that indicates (I
think) that the cluster has launched properly.  However, the only MBeans I
see are the JvmRouteBinderValve and ReplicationValve listed under the Valve
bean.  I don't see any beans for Cluster or for the Manager.  I have tried
both with the cluster configuration under the Host and Engine with no
difference.  I did get one warning (see below) regarding the
SimpleTcpCluster, but didn't expect that to be anything critical as I am
using all the default params.

I figure there must be another way to enable some more detailed logging
elsewhere so that I can see the tomcat instances communicating.  Can anyone
direct me to the right place how/where to enable that?  I can't seem to find
that in the docs anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Eric

Feb 10, 2009 5:32:22 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster
setProperty
WARNING: Dynamic setProperty(className,value) has been disabled, please use
explicit properties for the element you are trying to identify
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.14
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster start
INFO: Cluster is about to start
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase
bind
INFO: Receiver Server Socket bound to:/192.168.103.103:4000
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 500
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:54 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership, start
level:4
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:55 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:4
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:55 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership, start
level:8
Feb 10, 2009 5:14:56 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:8
Feb 10, 2009 5:33:27 PM org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve
start
INFO: JvmRouteBinderValve started

Cluster doesn't replicate

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.
>> also, what could mean that it doesn't work, would be that multicast is
>> not working for you, and you need to enable multicast.
>
> I've ensured that multicast is enabled.  I've added the multicast route to
> the routing tables.  I've even checked my multicast route between 2
> machines by pinging 224.0.0.1 and getting replies from both machines.
> However, I still don't see any of the cluster beans in jConsole.  Any
> ideas?

Ok - a little more searching online and I finally found a couple of
references indicating that the Cluster beans have been removed from JMX in
Tomcat 6 and have not been added back in yet.  I would suggest that the
documentation on the HowTo page be updated to include this information.

>> you can also set up static members,
>> http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=cluster%20static%20member#query:cluster%20static%20member%20list%3Aorg.apache.tomcat.users%20date%3A200707-200902%20from%3A%22SANCHEZ%2C%20Michel%22+page:1+mid:slqnel56c2lougo3+state:results
>
> Thanks, but I would prefer having auto-detection if possible.  Right now,
> I'm trying to figure out how to log / debug the information to ensure that
> everything is being sent, however, like I said, I don't even see the beans
> exposed in jConsole MBeans anywhere.  Is there any other way to enable
> logging of the cluster?

I finally also figured out (I think) that I need to add the following to
conf/logging.properties to get more defailed logging info:
org.apache.catalina.ha.level = FINE
org.apache.catalina.ha.handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

org.apache.catalina.tribes.level = FINE
org.apache.catalina.tribes.handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

So I am now seeing a little more trace info when my server starts up,
however I still don't see any session replication.  I don't see it in the
logs, nor in the tomcat manager (ie: I have 1 session on server 1 but none
on server 2).

I am pasting my conf/server.xml file in case that might help.  The two
servers are using the exact same setup.

I read in the HowTo that the Manager can be defined either in the Cluster or
in the Context.  Does it matter which?  Does it need to be in the context
element as well?

Thanks for any help!

Eric

  <Service name="Catalina">

    <!--
    <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-"
        maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="4"/>
    -->

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!--
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->

    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
        minSpareThreads="50"
        maxThreads="10000" />

       <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
                 channelSendOptions="8">

          <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.DeltaManager"
                   expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                   notifyListenersOnReplication="true"/>

          <Channel
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.GroupChannel">
            <Membership
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastService"
                        address="228.0.0.4"
                        port="45564"
                        frequency="500"
                        dropTime="3000"/>
            <Receiver
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReceiver"
                      address="auto"
                      port="4000"
                      autoBind="100"
                      selectorTimeout="5000"
                      maxThreads="6"/>

            <Sender
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReplicationTransmitter">
              <Transport
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.PooledParallelSender"/>
            </Sender>
            <Interceptor
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TcpFailureDetector"/>
            <Interceptor
className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.MessageDispatch15Interceptor"/>
          </Channel>

          <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.ReplicationValve"
                 filter=""/>
          <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve"/>

          <ClusterListener
className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteSessionIDBinderListener"/>
          <ClusterListener
className="org.apache.catalina.ha.session.ClusterSessionListener"/>
        </Cluster>

             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>

Re: Trouble with cluster and JMX

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.
>>> did you mark your webapp <distributable/>
>>>

>> Crap.  Now that you mention it, I think I forgot to do that.  Will have
>> to check up on that tomorrow.  However, after a bunch of fiddling around,
>> putting the Manager within the <context> element got session replication
>> working, even if it isn't marked as <distributable />.  Would that be
>> expected behaviour by putting the Manager in the context?
>>
> yes, when web.xml has <distributable/>, that's what tomcat does
> internally, swaps out the manager
>> Will check tomorrow and post findings.

Don't I feel like a twit.  Indeed, I had forgotten to mark it as
distributable.  I added that to my context, removed the Manager defn from
within the context, and all is working as I would have liked.

Thanks for the pointer!

Eric

Re: Trouble with cluster and JMX

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Re: Re: Trouble with cluster and JMX

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.
"Jorge Medina" <jm...@e-dialog.com> wrote in message

I did not manage to get more logging from the tribes package. Did you?
I am using the default tomcat-juli configuration, I didn't get any ouput
about sessions replicating other than the initial startup messages.

Like I said, I turned on
> org.apache.catalina.ha.level = FINE
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.level = FINE

in logging.properties and I got more information about session replication,
however, not necessarily as detailed as I would have like.  But overall, it
at least told me that sessions were replicating and I was able to see what
was going on.

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.
I did not manage to get more logging from the tribes package. Did you?
I am using the default tomcat-juli configuration, I didn't get any ouput
about sessions replicating other than the initial startup messages.

To get more verbose messages, the documentation mentions to use the key
org.apache.catalina.tribes.MESSAGES
I am currently trying it...

-Jorge

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
sure turn on

org.apache.catalina.ha.level = FINE
org.apache.catalina.tribes.level = FINE

in logging.properties

however, regular membership discovery over multicast show up even
without these entries

did you mark your webapp <distributable/>

Filip

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.