Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by James Stauffer <js...@spscommerce.com> on 2004/04/15 16:21:41 UTC

RE: DateFormatFileAppender

1. Sending to correct list now.  Sorry.
2. DateFormatFileAppender is different than DailyRollingFileAppender as far
as I can tell.  I couldn't get DailyRollingFileAppender to put the file in a
subdirectory based on the date.  Looking at the code it doesn't look like
subdirectories in the pattern are supported.  The other difference is that
DailyRollingFileAppender has the current logs always in the same file (the
old logs are named based on date).  DateFormatFileAppender names the current
file based on the date.
   Sample File: 'logs/'yyyy/MM-MMM/dd-EEE/HH-mm-ss-S'.log'
   Makes a file like: logs/2004/04-Apr/13-Tue/09-45-15-937.log

I have also changed the code so that it takes an option "Separate" so that
each log is in a separate file (and the File option is re-evaluated each
time).  This is useful when logging errors with stack traces.  I can provide
more information if anyone thinks that might be good to add to log4j.
Either way it is working well for us so far.  I attached the current code
but it is in a package from our code right now (easy to change).

James Stauffer
(Thanks for the great product!)