Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/08 12:18:04 UTC

Website (was Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1)

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 7:30 AM Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On 6. Feb 2024, at 10:14, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For building I had to define ~/.m2/toolchains.xml, you might want to add
> > message to the README.md as I had a hard time understanding the
> "toolchain"
> > was missing, not the JDK itself.
>
> It's not advertised anywhere yet I think, but we do have a documentation
> that
> actually talks about the toolchain:
>
> https://nightlies.apache.org/uima/draft-guides/maint.html#_maven_toolchains
>
> Eventually, the UIMA website should link to that guide - and all the stuff
> regarding releases, developer setup, etc. that we currently have on the
> website should be dropped in favor of the maintainers guide.
>
> Feel free to update the website ;)

I've been thinking it'd be nice to refresh the website a bit. Maybe even
have some sections generated with a more modern tool, lile Hugo.

If that's something that interests the project, I can do some trials and
share them, then we can decide. I understand the URLs in the current
website are linked from multiple places and it is key to keep them as-is.

Re: Website (was Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1)

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

This is all very good and makes sense. Using git-svn I imported the current
site into the GitHub project. (That took a long time.)

The commands I used were:

git clone git@github.com:apache/uima-site.git
cd uima-site/
git checkout main
git svn init https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/site/trunk/uima-website
git svn fetch

(the archive/ branch on SVN is copied, it didn't seem useful as such.)

This way we can make changes as PRs on that project and discuss them
through the GitHub interface.

And keep branches for new redesigns.

Jekyll sounds fine and the other projects to look for inspiration sounds
fine too. I'll study them together with the Apache template.

Best regards,

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Pablo,

> On 8. Feb 2024, at 13:18, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been thinking it'd be nice to refresh the website a bit. Maybe even
> have some sections generated with a more modern tool, lile Hugo.

We should probably switch entirely to a more modern static site generator.
My thoughts on this were in the direction of copying the side of another
Apache project that has a nice site and building on that ;)

Based on my bubble of interest, I would have looked at one of these as a
starting point.

- https://opennlp.apache.org/
- https://wicket.apache.org/
- https://solr.apache.org/

As an additional consideration, I was hoping not having to use an entirely
new technology but one that may be familiar or at least peak popular such
that there are ample howtos and many people would know how to deal with it.

Again, based on my bubble, I would have considered

- jekyll
- antora
- docusaurus

> If that's something that interests the project, I can do some trials and
> share them, then we can decide. I understand the URLs in the current
> website are linked from multiple places and it is key to keep them as-is.

You are right, it is probably a good idea to ensure that certain key URLs remain the same - possibly using redirects. I don't think all URLs need to remain stable. It would be good though if a page not found would have a sensible error page.

Btw. we already have an (empty) repo for a new website here:

  https://github.com/apache/uima-site

Cheers,

-- Richard