Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> on 2008/04/01 09:24:38 UTC

Re: 10.4 Jira filters available

Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have create two public Jira filter, 'Derby 10.4 Release Note' and
> 'Derby 10.4 Fixed Bugs' which I plan to use when generating the release
> notes. Links and a brief description can be found at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourRelease#head-5813efb99ae539012107121e6ad4005f77edc6a5
>
> Please let me know if you have comments or suggestions.

Hi Dyre,

I'm wondering if the Fixed Bugs filter should be limited to those bugs
that were reported against released versions. For example, it now
reports bugs like these (not a complete list)

 DERBY-3528 ReplicationSuite tests hang when running on jvm 1.5, jvm 1.4
 DERBY-3508 Log receiver thread fails with NPE at failover when master has died
 DERBY-3499 testStartStopManagementFromApplication junit test failure in nightly test suite.
 DERBY-3493 stress.multi times out waiting on testers with blocked testers waiting on the same statement

all of which were bugs introduced and fixed on trunk, and never seen in
an official release. I'm not sure we want to list those bugs in the
release notes.

--
Knut Anders

Re: 10.4 Jira filters available

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Dyre Tjeldvoll wrote:
>> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>>
>>> Or perhaps two different queries would be better? For improvement and
>>> wish, I think it makes sense to list all, since people who want to
>>> improve something on trunk only often skip the affects version or set it
>>> to the current trunk version. For bugs, the above query looks fine.
>>
>> Probably. But I don't know how amenable the release note utility is
>> to taking more than one file as input. Since the input is in the
>> form of an xml-file, you can't just concatenate the results from two
>> queries and feed it to the release note generator. Maybe it would be
>> possible to merge the xml-files by hand, but I have not looked at
>> the format so I don't know how easy that would be...
>>

>> Dyre
>>
> I'll bet that we could tweak this code to wrap an XmlVTI around each
> of the input files. The two VTIs could then be unioned and sorted by
> release id. The release note generator could then walk the merged
> ResultSet and throw away duplicate keys.

I have mofified the 'Derby 10.4 Fixed Bugs' filter to only select issues
of type 'Bug'.

I created another filter 'Derby 10.4 Improvements':

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12312524

It lists 45 issues, but I feel that most of them do not belong in the
release notes. There are a couple of exceptions, e.g.

dt

Re: 10.4 Jira filters available

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre Tjeldvoll wrote:
> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>
>> Or perhaps two different queries would be better? For improvement and
>> wish, I think it makes sense to list all, since people who want to
>> improve something on trunk only often skip the affects version or set it
>> to the current trunk version. For bugs, the above query looks fine.
>
> Probably. But I don't know how amenable the release note utility is to
> taking more than one file as input. Since the input is in the form of
> an xml-file, you can't just concatenate the results from two queries
> and feed it to the release note generator. Maybe it would be possible
> to merge the xml-files by hand, but I have not looked at the format so
> I don't know how easy that would be...
>

> Dyre

I'll bet that we could tweak this code to wrap an XmlVTI around each of
the input files. The two VTIs could then be unioned and sorted by
release id. The release note generator could then walk the merged
ResultSet and throw away duplicate keys.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: 10.4 Jira filters available

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@Sun.COM>.