Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/11/04 13:05:31 UTC

[S2] Message Resources ExpressionConfigurationSupport

I'm looking at  <https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-809> which
would let us load message resources by designating a package with a
wildcard character, like this

 * webwork.custom.i18n.resources=ApplicationResources, actions/*

in which case all the ".properties"  files in the "actions" package
would be added to the configuration.

One aspect of this idea is that it might let us multiple resource
files, even when there is not a corresponding Action. The lack of an
Action came up in the extended CodeBehind thread, since we might have
a page that doesn't have it's own Action.

There are other features to the patch, like optional recursion support
(which might also play nice with CodeBehind).

My questions are

 * Does this sound like a good idea to everyone?

 * Is this a XWork level patch or something we should apply here?

 * If we apply it here, is it big enough for a CLA?

-Ted.

Re: [S2] Message Resources ExpressionConfigurationSupport

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Yes, the problem with a wildcard search is that different containers
or JVMs might sort the list differently. The current model already
loads multiple property files from multiple location according to a
predefined search pattern, and I expect it would handle the same way
we handle them now, which I suppose is last-one wins.  But, with a
wildcard it might be hard to predefine which file would be loaded
last.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>

Re: [S2] Message Resources ExpressionConfigurationSupport

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.