Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr> on 2018/06/19 16:28:27 UTC

No uploaded file when upgrading to new Tapestry version (Spring Boot jar, embedded Tomcat...)

  Hi,

I am upgrading my old Tapestry 4.3.7 app (java-7, standalone Tomcat...)
to newer tech stack (java 8, Spring Boot with embeddable Tomcat deployed
as single jar...). I wan't to leave tapestry untouched as much as
possible, so I just upgraded from 4.3.7 to 4.3.8 because of Java-8
requirement.

And practically everything works perfectly except that my Upload
component stopped working. It doesn't raise any error, its just that
after form submit, my UploadedFile instance is always null.

I debugged a bit, and found out that within Tapestry's
MultipartDecoderImpl there is this part that should parse FileItems from
HTTP request, but it always parses empty list. I udnerstand that here
Taestry uses Apache Commons-FileUpload, but I have no idea what has
changed for this to stop working properly?

protected List<FileItem>parseRequest(HttpServletRequest request)
{
     try {
         return createFileUpload().parseRequest(request); }catch (FileUploadException ex)
     {
         uploadException = ex; return Collections.emptyList(); }
}

Dunno if Spring Boot and its embeeded Tomcat are making some difference
here...

Any idea?

-Vjeran

Re: No uploaded file when upgrading to new Tapestry version (Spring Boot jar, embedded Tomcat...)

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr>.
No, I checked. The exception isn't raised, but this parsing returns
empty list:

return createFileUpload().parseRequest(request);

Which is basically Commons FileUpload called all the way down. I checked
the HTTP request being proper multipart in Chrome Inspector, and
fileupload code recognizes it as such, but somehow it parses it like it
doesn't ocntain any file items :-/

I don't think it is about java 8, but probably some combination of
Spring Boot 2.0 + newest Tomcat + embedded version of it, or whatever...

As I said, the old version of the app uses Tapestry 5.3.7 + Commons
FileUpload 1.2.1, whereas newer tapestry version use Commons FileUpload
1.3.1, but I tried downgrading this fileupload lib to 1.2.1 to no effect.

-Vjeran

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: No uploaded file when upgrading to new Tapestry version (Spring Boot jar, embedded Tomcat...)

Posted by "D.R." <d....@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

i had the same issue in one of two springboot/t5 apps
spring.http.multipart.enabled=false
worked for me

in the second app, i don't have set that property and i don't facing any
issues *weird*

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr>.
Thanx Luca,

Posted by Luca Menegus <lu...@dbmsrl.com>.
Hi Vjeran,

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Thank you Vjeran

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
You could try updating commons-file-upload to the latest version while
keeping the rest unchanged. Anyway, I find it weird that just upgrading to
Java 8 would cause that issue.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Vjeran Marcinko <

Thiago

Re: No uploaded file when upgrading to new Tapestry version (Spring Boot jar, embedded Tomcat...)

Posted by Vjeran Marcinko <vj...@email.t-com.hr>.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.