Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/07 19:27:06 UTC

VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

hello,

i am trying to get bare metal installs to work with vcl2.2 and xcat 2.x
using the info provided at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/adding-support-for-partimage-and-partimage-ng-to-xcat-2x-unofficial.html

my xcat installation works fine: i have successfully installed rhel nodes
using the following commands
nodeset <nodename> install=Template
rpower <nodename> boot

now when i want to first image and then install using the partimage i am
having issues as follows:

i am running into following error the moment I type in: nodeset <node> image
even after rebooting the management node there has been no change in this
error.

baremetal-chassis1-13: Unable to identify plugin for this command, check
relevant tables: nodetype.os
Error: Some nodes failed to set up image resources, aborting

to my understanding, for some reason partimage plugin is not being fond or
recognized by xcat.

can anybody please help.

regards,
prem.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh,

i take back my statement below, saying that it would fail, if i don't
have a symbolic link
ext_sshd to sshd in the pam.d directory.

* my statement is only true if one follows the instructions   *
* at(http://www.kudos.be/multiple_sshd) to manually          *
* setup the external_sshd_config file.                                *
* but wait why do it, when 'vcl' code already does it for you *

sorry for the confusion.

regards,
prem.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hello Josh,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Wednesday June 15, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hello,
>
> one more issue still standing.
>
> with the swap of interfaces for 'IP0' and 'IP1'in 'Linux.pm' file i
> was able login to the reserved node from the management node, but not
> externally.
>
> with the current setup of image capture does it require that the end
> user use public keys to login instead of password authentication?
>
> i am sure this is not a firewall issue, because when i use putty to
> login, i get a prompt to type in the login username, and the moment i
> type in username and hit enter, expecting to type in password, i get
> the following error:
>
> "No supported authentication methods available"
>
> to me this seems to be a 'PAM' issue of 'sshd' config issue.
>
> any thoughts? or leads please?
>
> regards,
> prem.
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > hi Andy,
> >
> > i will stick to this workaround for now, and this helps!!!
> >
> > if i were to run a post load or post reservation script,  any idea
> > where would that be?
> >
> > regards,
> > prem.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >> Hello Prem,
> >> We're working to make the code more flexible regarding interface
> >> names.  For now, I think you're going to need to modify the code.
> >> Open up lib/VCL/Module/OS/Linux.pm and find the generate_rc_local
> >> subroutine.  Find the following 2 lines and swap 'eth0' and 'eth1':
> >>
> >> push(@array2print, 'IP0=$(ifconfig eth0 | grep inet | awk \'{print
> >> $2}\' | awk -F: \'{print $2}\')' . "\n");
> >> push(@array2print, 'IP1=$(ifconfig eth1 | grep inet | awk \'{print
> >> $2}\' | awk -F: \'{print $2}\')' . "\n");
> >>
> >> You will need to save a new revision of your image after making this
> >> change.  Once captured, the new revision should hopefully configure
> >> SSH correctly.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Andy

- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hello,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Andy,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Hello Prem,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hello,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Sunil,

this file should exist in /sbin directory when rootimg.gz is unpacked .

regards,
prem.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Sunil Venkatesh <su...@umbc.edu>.
Hi Josh/Prem,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Josh,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Prem,

On Thursday June 09, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hi Josh,
>
> significant progress ... although not fully successful.
>
> and very valuable tip from you!, this helped me quite a lot: "to aid
> debugging enable remoteshell and removing the /sbin/reboot line at the
> end"
>
> i want to make a note few things here that got me past a little
> further in capture process, hence might be worth to see if i could
> have done it better::
>
> - since my primary nic was eth1, i greped-to-replace the extracted
> files from initrd.img and rootimg.gz with eth1 as the primary nic.
>
> - make sure the node or the nodegroup being captured has appropriate
> entries in the xcat table
> postscripts.postscripts="syslog,remoteshell,syncfiles" or something
> similar to suit individual needs.
>
> - it might be worth documenting the root password of the rootimg.gz
> file system, unless one can replaced it with their own and re-create
> the image, and then login using the root credentials when the capture
> process fails at any point. worth looking is the /tmp/partimageng.log
> of stateless image currently booted in. +++ not sure if this makes
> sense, may be if the remoteshell is setup correctly we may not need
> this?

Our install ends up getting identity keys set up so that you don't have to use
a password to log in.  However, documenting the root password would be a good
idea.

> - i had to add the node being captured to my 'iptables' so that the
> 'nfs' exports(managemen_node:/install) to write the image
> at(/install/image/x86) is not blocked by the firewall on management
> node.
>
> - in spite no_root_squash being enabled on management node nfs server,
> 'root' account of the stateless image did not have the permissions to
> write the image at /install/image/x86. it is believed that the version
> of the 'nfs-client' in the stateless image, as i understand has some
> issues. - workaround is to add the flag 'sec=sys' in the 'mount'
> command in 'partimageng' script in folder /install/postscripts.
>
> - with the above adventure i got to a point where following
> intermediate files were written to complete the capture process:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root        0 Jun  9 13:18
> vcl_rhel_template.img.capturefailed -rw------- 1 root root      849 Jun  9
> 13:18 vcl_rhel_template.gz.000 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      259 Jun  9
> 13:24 vcl_rhel_template-sda.sfdisk -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      512 Jun  9
> 13:24 vcl_rhel_template-sda.mbr -rw------- 1 root root 10485760 Jun  9
> 13:24 pi43fec6f2.tmp

I need to add this to the documentation and should have mentioned it earlier.
partimage can only capture a few file system types.  I don't remember the
exact list.  I know it includes ext2/ext3 and ntfs.  I also know that it
cannot capture ext4 and anything involving LVM.  That is part of why I
included support for partimageng.  If it doesn't natively know how to handle
the file system, it will fall back to using dd to capture it.  Search for
'usepartimageng=0' in the partimageng postscript and change it to =1 to switch
to using partimageng.

Is the file system to be captured either ext2 or ext3 and without having LVM
invovled?

> - after few seconds, the '/sbin/partimage' saving the image, fails
> with a status code 1. attached is the log file /tmp/partimageng.log
> for additional information.

partimage is definitely lacking in error messages.  It does produce a log file
somewhere under /var when it runs that might be useful.

We have yet to figure out the constraints, but these ASF lists seem to eat
many of the attachments people try to send.  You might try just pasting
relevant parts inline or posting it to pastebin.com and then including the
link here.

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh,

[...]

need more of your assistance?

regards,
prem.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Prem,

Good to hear you are making progress.

On Wednesday June 08, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hi Josh,
>
> made some progress with 'os' and 'arch' in nodetype set to 'image' and
> 'x86', yet i am missing something.
>
> kindly could you confirm where i went wrong from below in reference to
> xcat and partimage setup:
>
> - successfully installed a compute node with pxe boot and  'ks'
> template located under: /install/custom/install/rh
>
> - copied vmlinuz and initrd.img from
> here(https://cwiki.apache.org/VCLDOCS/adding-support-for-partimage-and-part
> image-ng-to-xcat-2x-unofficial.html) to /tftpboot/xcat/image/x86/
>
> - also copied rootimg.gz to /install/image/x86/installer_files/
>
> ++++++since the above images were built with eth0 as the primary nic,
> i changed it to eth1 because that being my primary nic.

I'm glad you found that.  I had forgotten they have hard coded NICs.  I'll
look in to getting that info from xcat.

> ++++++ not sure if the rootimg.gz here has to be the cpio image from
> the install of the compute node in the first step? and the vmlinuz and
> initrd.img from the disk or rhel used to install the compute node.

I'm not clear what you are asking here.  You should be able to use the
rootimg.gz from the "unofficial" wiki page you listed above.

> - then set 'os' and 'arch' in nodetype table  to 'image' and 'x86'
> respectively
>
> - next typed in the following command:
>
> nodeset <node> image
> ++++++ at this point it complained that it could not find:
> /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image/createimage.x86.tmpl , i was hoping
> my file /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image/vcl_rhel_template.tmpl with
> this single line(#INCLUDE:../scripts/post.rh#) in it should have done
> the job. not sure why it only needs createimage.x86.tmpl ?

It looks like I left this out of the docs.  For pushing images, you need one
of these under /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image (somewhat documented):

$profile.$arch.tmpl
$profile.tmpl
default.tmpl

For capturing images, you need this under /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image
(undocumented):

createimage.$arch.tmpl

That file should only have the following single line:

#INCLUDE:../scripts/post.rh#

It would make sense to update the partimageng.pm module to have capturing
requirements similar to pushing requirements and allow $profile.$arch.tmpl and
$profile.tmpl to work.  I'll try to get that updated in the next few weeks.

> after creating the required(createimage.x86.tmpl) file, and the typing
> the above command creates appropriate pxe configuration files in
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ with the url and action to save the image etc,
> which seems right.
>
> - now type in the following command to boot the node so as to save the
> image upon reboot
>  rpower <node> boot
>
> at this point if everything is right, following should happen
>
>  > the stateless image will be used to boot in initial ram disk
> >
> > then use the postinstall partimage script to save the image of the
> > current installation of the 'os' onto the location on management node.
>
> +++++++ here i don't see when does one gets the post install
> scripts(partimage) from management node?

Looking in rootimg.gz, you'll find

/etc/rc3.d/S84xcatpostinit

which is a symlink to

/etc/init.d/xcatpostinit

which runs

/opt/xcat/xcatdsklspost

which uses wget to download all of /install/postscripts from the management
node.  Then it executes the getpostscript.awk script to generate a primary
postscript file.  This file should contain various things, one of which is the
partimageng script.  It runs this primary postscript, thus running the
partimageng script.

To aid in debugging, if you configure the node to also have the remoteshell
postscript run, you'll be able to ssh in to it while the stateless image is
booted.  There may be some things you need to set up to get the remoteshell
postscript working.  Also, if the node reboots too quickly for you to poke
around, you can comment out the /sbin/reboot line at the end of the
partimageng postscript.

> > this should finish the capture process
>
> hope this is correct?
>
> regards,
> prem.

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh, kindly bare with other inline questions before i try out your
suggestions -

> > 'vcl_rhel_node_template' then i need to have the following file
> > under $installroot/image/$arch/
> >
> > vcl_rhel_node_template.img
> > vcl_rhel_node_template.gz
> > vcl_rhel_node_template-parta1.gz
>
> The above code means that you must have at least one of those files present in
> $installroot/image/$arch/.  Those are the disk image files created by
> partimageng (any .img files) or partimage (any .gz files).  The partimage
> stuff documented at the "unofficial" page always uses x86 as for $arch.  It
> will still handle imaging/restoring x86_64 images.  Since both x86 and x86_64
> were handled the same way, I never bothered making it distinguish between
> them.  So, all images captured with partimage using those instruction will be
> under $installroot/image/x86/

as i understand:
essentially files vcl_rhel_node_template.img 'or'
vcl_rhel_node_template.gz gets created for the first time after i have
successfully captured an image using the partimageng or partimage
respectfully?

and this is done using the command 'nodeset <node> image'

also do you think having ssh communicate to private management node
over eth1, and compute nodes accessible to end users with ext_ssh
over eth0, an issue with the 'vcl code' at any point?

regards,
prem.

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Prem,

My responses are inline.

On Wednesday June 08, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hi Josh,
>
> no i do not have the 'os' filed set to 'image' in the nodetype table.
> also i do not have the 'arch' field set to 'x86', instead i have it set to
> 'x86_64'.
>
> this probably explains why it is not progressing.

Okay.  Let us know how things progress when you set the values as described.

> just so i understand this correctly, this has been my approach, can you
> confirm if i am following the right trial of path.
>
> - first i got my xcat to work, so that i can install an os on baremetal
> using pxe boot with kickstart templates.
> - second i got the vcl code setup with unoffical-partimage-setup
> information.
> - third i followed the instructions at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/create-a-linux-base-image.html to capture the
> baremetal install of the 'os' on a blade.

That is the correct approach.  However, I would not try using 'vcld -setup'
until you can successfully capture an image using 'nodeset <node> image'.

> back to the partimage plugin:
>
> i read around line number 142:
> unless (-r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile.img" or
>                 -r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile.gz" or
>                 -r "$installroot/image/$arch/$profile-parta1.gz")
>
> does the above imply that if my 'profile' in nodetype table is set to
> 'vcl_rhel_node_template' then i need to have the following file
> under $installroot/image/$arch/
>
> vcl_rhel_node_template.img
> vcl_rhel_node_template.gz
> vcl_rhel_node_template-parta1.gz

The above code means that you must have at least one of those files present in
$installroot/image/$arch/.  Those are the disk image files created by
partimageng (any .img files) or partimage (any .gz files).  The partimage
stuff documented at the "unofficial" page always uses x86 as for $arch.  It
will still handle imaging/restoring x86_64 images.  Since both x86 and x86_64
were handled the same way, I never bothered making it distinguish between
them.  So, all images captured with partimage using those instruction will be
under $installroot/image/x86/

As a side note, there is another thread where someone is working on making
partimage work for ppc.  For that, it probably would be good to have it
distinguish between x86 and ppc.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Prem Kumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
hi Josh,

Re: VCL xCAT2.x BladeCenter

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Prem,

Make sure you have partimageng.pm in /opt/xcat/lib/perl/xCAT_plugin.

The "os" field in nodetype needs to be "image" and the "arch" field needs to
be "x86".

Can you confirm that is what you have specified in nodetype?

Josh

On Tuesday June 07, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am trying to get bare metal installs to work with vcl2.2 and xcat 2.x
> using the info provided at:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/adding-support-for-partimage-and-partimage-ng-
> to-xcat-2x-unofficial.html
>
> my xcat installation works fine: i have successfully installed rhel nodes
> using the following commands
> nodeset <nodename> install=Template
> rpower <nodename> boot
>

> now when i want to first image and then install using the partimage i am
> having issues as follows:
>
> i am running into following error the moment I type in: nodeset <node>
> image even after rebooting the management node there has been no change in
> this error.
>

> baremetal-chassis1-13: Unable to identify plugin for this command, check
> relevant tables: nodetype.os
> Error: Some nodes failed to set up image resources, aborting
>

> to my understanding, for some reason partimage plugin is not being fond or
> recognized by xcat.
>
> can anybody please help.
>
> regards,
> prem.