Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Cadbury <co...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/17 06:45:45 UTC

using james to send email outside..

hi

i'm using windows xp and I've just installed james apache as my pop3 and smtp server. i can send and receive emails through local accounts(eg imin@localhost, user@localhost)..but it seem I can't send any email to outside account (eg my yahoo account).. how do I deal through this problem?

by the way i'm using outlook express as my email client... and one more thing..previously i was using a shareware version of a smtp relay server and I can send emails to outside account....

thanx

RE: Sender sends email-->Apache James-->Receiver receive notification

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Cadbury wrote:
> what I actually want is a Mailet that will send notification to
> the receiver(user B) that the sender (user A) sends user B an email

You want a NotifyRecipient type mailet.  That is very easy to do.  You could
start with the AbstractRedirect / AbstractNotifier family of mailets.  See
the source distribution.  Basically, you want to send a new e-mail to the
original recipient saying something about the other message, which I presume
you will stored elsewhere.  You could probably use an existing mailet, but
not if you want to provide a "pretty" message body with replaced fields.

Actually, it would be worthwhile to modify the notifier code to use the same
code we put into the new mailing list manager.  I'm thinking something along
the lines of ${<HEADER>} being replaced with the value of that header from
the original e-mail.

	--- Noel

RE: Sender sends email-->Apache James-->Receiver receive notification

Posted by Cadbury <co...@yahoo.com>.
Yup...I think what I actually want is a Mailet that will send notification to the receiver(user B) that the sender (user A) sends user B an email...I think more like the e-greeting card type.. where the greeting card server just send a notification to the recipient that he/she has a card and he/she has to pick it up...
And what is Resend? Could you please detail it a bit..since I'm a total newbie in this Apache James thing...
Thanx...

"Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
You want a Mailet that will send your notification to the original
recipient. Should be able to do something with Resend in the 2.2.0
codebase. Worst case would be a custom subclass, but I don't think you need
it.

--- Noel

RE: Sender sends email-->Apache James-->Receiver receive notification

Posted by Cadbury <co...@yahoo.com>.
hi

how do I configure Apache James so it would work like I described below?

sender-----------------> Apache James Server ----------------------> receiver
        sends email                            sends notification/
        message

*   Instead of james send the email to receiver it send the receiver a message regarding the message the receiver received

i'm using windows XP...really appreciate any help. thanx in advance

bye

RE: using james to send email outside..

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> i can send and receive emails through local accounts
> but it seem I can't send any email to outside account

See: http://james.apache.org/FAQ.html#3

	--- Noel