Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by John <jo...@jak.com> on 2006/06/08 05:12:41 UTC

Best practice for coding orphaned JSF after TomCat reboot

During development I've noticed this problem as a result of Stopping
Tomcat - Re-deploying WAR - Starting Tomcat.

I'm within my JSF application (on my browser) and restart Tomcat.
When Tomcat comes back up, I hit refresh on the browser.
JSF navigates me to the login.jsp just fine (based on error navigation
I'm pretty sure).
But exceptions are produced which dirty the log --> Cannot get value for
expression '#{quarantine.selectedMessages}
( quarantine is a managed Bean - selectedMessages is a sheetState object
)

I think if the session had expired and I hit refresh, I'd see the same
behavior.

I know I could just judiciously log-out before a restart and circumvent
the issue, however, end-users won't be so polite, they will just let
their JSF stay open across server restarts and expired sessions, in a
production environment.

So..... What is the best practice for protective coding, when refreshing
a "dead" jsf page?

Thanks,
John