Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by marotosg <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/22 16:38:18 UTC

Best practice to deploy Solr to production

Hi all,

I have a Solr index which has been evolving since Solr1.4 and now is in
SolrCloud6.6.
This cluster is composed of 4 servers, few collections and shards.
Since first time I deployed to production in 2009 I am using the same
approach to deploy. I think it's probably the time to review and improve. I
am looking for best practices and different approaches.

Here is what I have. Everyhting is done using ant.
1. I do have solr package together with my own code. I do have some plugins
written.
2. 8 collections with several files per collection.
3. Ant steps
    3.1 Update config files with deployment properties per environment.
    3.2 Package and copy to servers
    3.3 Run  remote sh commands for installation of Solr
    3.4 Run remote sh to push config files to zookeeper
    3.4 Run web requests to create collections.

I have the feeling this is not the proper way to go but not sure what's the
best practice either.

Can anyone point me to  a nicer way to do this?

Thanks a lot.
Sergio