Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Lucas Galfaso <lg...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/14 23:35:53 UTC

JSR-245 JavaServer Pages 2.1 standard

Hi,
  I am reading the JSP 2.1 specification and I have a question on how
inconsistencies should be read. I was going to ask the users group
(and I will if you think is best) but given that you are implementing
this standard, I think that you might be in a better position to
answer this.

"JSP.5.15 <jsp:text>" reads
No subelements may appear within jsp:text; for example the following
fragment is invalid and must generate a translation error.
The jsp:text action has no attributes. The action may have a body. The
body may not have nested actions nor scripting elements.

"JSP.5.11 <jsp:body>" reads
Normally, the body of a standard or custom action invocation is
defined implicitly as the body of the XML element used to represent
the invocation. The body of a standard or custom action can also be
defined explicitly using the <jsp:body> standard action. This is
required if one or more <jsp:attribute> elements appear in the body of
the tag.
If one or more <jsp:attribute> elements appear in the body of a tag
invocation but no <jsp:body> element appears or an empty <jsp:body>
element appears, it is the equivalent of the tag having an empty body.
It is also legal to use the <jsp:body> standard action to supply
bodies to standard actions, for any standard action that accepts a
body (except for <jsp:invoke>, <jsp:body>, <jsp:attribute>,
<jsp:scriptlet>, <jsp:expression>, and <jsp:declaration>).
The body standard action accepts no attributes.

So, JSP5.15 says that
<jsp:text>
  <jsp:body>Hello world</jsp:body>
</jsp:text>

is invalid, and JSP.5.11 says that it is legal.

How the standard should be read?

Thanks,
  lg