Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <sh...@mpi.com> on 2002/03/19 21:52:24 UTC

Figuring out which Unix process is which

Hi,
We run multiple instance of tomcat using the same JAVA_HOME,
so when we run a ps command (Solaris 2.8) we see a bunch
of java processes, but can't tell which one is which instance
of tomcat.  Does anyone have any ideas to help this problem?

It's not possible for us to run the processes as different
users, and the path is too long for the different CATALINA_OPTS
to show through.

I realize this may be more of a Unix question, but if anyone
has suggestions, I'll be glad to hear them.  Thanks in advance,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Pharmaceuticals

Re: Figuring out which Unix process is which

Posted by Cheng Yan <cy...@attbi.com>.
Try this:

% ps -ef | grep jre | grep java.endorsed

Posted by camccuk <ca...@yahoo.com>.
--- NIVET R�mi <re...@atosorigin.com> wrote:
> Try /usr/ucb/ps auxww
>
> R�mi.

As I was saying: this is fine until the process gets swapped out at which point
ps reports the process as [java], no matter how many 'w's you specify - no one
has been able to tell me a workaround for this. Thus, options seems to be:

- killall 0 <pid> although I'm not sure (yet) how to capture TC's pid
- use wget to check the server from a client perspective...

cam

Re: Figuring out which Unix process is which

Posted by NIVET Rémi <re...@atosorigin.com>.
Try /usr/ucb/ps auxww

Rémi.

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Yoav,

You could try making differently named links to the java command, then edit
your startup files so that each tomcat instance uses a different link to the
"java" command?

Andy