Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/03/18 05:52:44 UTC

I-D ACTION:draft-heftagaub-rmff-00.txt (fwd)

For anyone interested in that stuff...

(yea, I am forwarding a whack of these lately but thats just because they
come in bunches...)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 09:52 PM 3/17/98 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
>For anyone interested in that stuff...

>	Title		: RealMedia File Format
>
>   The RealMedia File Format (RMFF) is designed to be a generic container
>   for streaming media data.  This data may then be played back locally or
>   streamed over a network using protocols such as RTSP and RTP.  The
>   format is data-independent, allowing any data type to be recorded,
>   manipulated and played back.

So it's not possible to write a RealMedia player based on this
specification, because it's
"data-independent", i.e. they don't give you the codecs which translate the
bits being encapsulated into sound data.

Or an I reading this wrong?

So let's see, we have

  Ethernet
  IP
  TCP
  RTSP/RTP
  RMFF
  *the actual bits*

I.e. 5 layers of encapsulation.  Ace.  We should tunnel this over Appletalk
just for kicks.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com