Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com> on 2014/11/20 19:31:54 UTC

[users@httpd] questions and suggestions related to authentication

Looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/auth.html
I am able to at least use file authentication.
I tried using dbd with DBDriver mysql but that reports
 Can't load driver file apr_dbd_mysql.so
and it's not obvious where to get that (using fedora 19).

So one question is where to find that, or how to find out.
Yum whatprovides is not helping so far.

In any case it's not really what I want.
What I really wanted seems to have been in mod_auth_mysql but that
seems to be no longer supported.

So another question is whether there's some other way to get that
functionality that I'm just not seeing.

This could have been supported by dbd if the user query were not
required to produce the password.  It would have made more sense to me
for the query to accept both the user and password and return at least
one row possibly containing other data if the user and password "match".
Then the query could have been something like
 select 1 from mysql.user where user=x and password=password(y)

So my next question is why that is not supported.
Alternatively, my first suggestion is that dbd should support that.

However, I also am surprised that I don't see some more general module
that allows the user to write his own script for authentication.
For instance, one could simply replace the dbd query with a url to
retrieve, again taking user and password parameters (either as get or
post parameters).
This proposed module would then be used something like this:
 AuthBasicProvider script
 AuthScriptURL http://localhost/authenticate.php?user=%s&pass=%s

which would seem to provide all the capability of all of the
other authentication modules (at the cost of writing a small amount
of code).

So my last question is why there isn't something like that.
Or alternatively, my last suggestion is that something like that be
provided.

Re: [users@httpd] questions and suggestions related to authentication

Posted by Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com>.
Eric Covener writes:
 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com> wrote:
 > >  > Sorry, it's mod_authnz_fcgi. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/
 > >
 > > still having trouble with this:
 > >
 > > locate mod_authnz_fcgi
 > >  shows nothing
 > >
 > > yum whatprovides mod_authnz_fcgi
 > >  shows nothing.
 > >
 > > Any advice?
 >

 > Likely your OS release uses Apache 2.2.x. This module was added in 2.4.x

phpinfo says:
Apache Version    Apache/2.4.10 (Fedora) OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips PHP/5.5.10

Re: [users@httpd] questions and suggestions related to authentication

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] questions and suggestions related to authentication

Posted by Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com>.
Eric Covener writes:
 > On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com> wrote:
 > > Eric Covener writes:
 > >  > On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com> wrote:
 > >  > > However, I also am surprised that I don't see some more general module
 > >  > > that allows the user to write his own script for authentication.
 > >  >
 > >  > FastCGI scripts can perform authentication.  Lua scripts can too.

Just to be clear, do you mean perform authentication in general or
that they can be used in conjunction with the apache facility
described in the url below?  If possible I'd like to use what
apache already provides, not replace it with my own script.

 > > How does this work with the facilities described in
 > >  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/auth.html
 > > I don't see any mention of them in that page.
 >
 > Since they allow you to interact with Apache roughly as if you had
 > written a module in C, I think they'd each show up in multiple
 > sections of "Related Modules and Directives".   It seems like

And yet neither of these appears anywhere in the page above.

 > mod_authnz_fastcgi would be applicable in every section, but Lua would
 > be omitted from the middle section (IIUC).

I just put "mod_authnz_fastcgi" into google and got ONE result -
which is your message above!
along with "Did you mean: mod_authnz_sspi "

So I consider this question to still be open.
If you (or anyone else) can provide some information about how to do
it or where to look to find out, I'd like to know.

Re: [users@httpd] questions and suggestions related to authentication

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Don Cohen <do...@isis.cs3-inc.com> wrote:
> However, I also am surprised that I don't see some more general module
> that allows the user to write his own script for authentication.

FastCGI scripts can perform authentication.  Lua scripts can too.

The problem with anything else doing it is that they have to interpret
whatever your script is written in.