Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/07/16 09:51:12 UTC

[Vote] Build System: Switching to Ant Available task

The latest build system distinguishes between jdk 1.2/1.3 and jdk 1.4.
The resulting target should only be used with the jdk used to
build Cocoon.

We created our own ant task, the class-available task, to avoid some
dependency problems. Usually ant searches for classes not only in
the path set in the build file but also in the system classpath.

So, if this feature is used and you build with JDK 1.4 you have
for example the jndi classes in your path and the optional components
depending on this classes are also build and added to the web
application. If you now run this with a JDK 1.3 where the jndi classes
are missing, you might get problems...
So, these cases are the main reason for our own task.

But with our own task the jndi classes of the JDK 1.4 are not found
as our class-available task only searches in the "local" classpath
but not in the system classpath. Therefore the optional components
are never build.

So, we have two options:
a) Change the "local" classpath and add for example the "rt.jar".
b) Switch to the original ant task and assume that when you build
   Cocoon with a given (system)classpath that this will also be
   the classpath you use for running Cocoon.

>From the mass of complains over the last months, I vote for b)
with some additional messages/documentation indicating this problem.

Comments?

Carsten

RE: [Vote] Build System: Switching to Ant Available task

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
> The latest build system distinguishes between jdk 1.2/1.3 and jdk 1.4.
> The resulting target should only be used with the jdk used to
> build Cocoon.
>
> We created our own ant task, the class-available task, to avoid some
> dependency problems. Usually ant searches for classes not only in
> the path set in the build file but also in the system classpath.
>
> So, if this feature is used and you build with JDK 1.4 you have
> for example the jndi classes in your path and the optional components
> depending on this classes are also build and added to the web
> application. If you now run this with a JDK 1.3 where the jndi classes
> are missing, you might get problems...
> So, these cases are the main reason for our own task.
>
> But with our own task the jndi classes of the JDK 1.4 are not found
> as our class-available task only searches in the "local" classpath
> but not in the system classpath. Therefore the optional components
> are never build.
>
> So, we have two options:
> a) Change the "local" classpath and add for example the "rt.jar".
> b) Switch to the original ant task and assume that when you build
>    Cocoon with a given (system)classpath that this will also be
>    the classpath you use for running Cocoon.

 c) Switch to the original ant task and empty (system)classpath, thus
    only rt.jar and ext/endorsed libraries are included.

Vadim

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> I havn't followed the hole thread but the available task from ant allows
> to say ignoresystemclasses="yes"
> (see http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/available.html).
>
> Is this achieving the same result as our
> class-available task?

Yes, exactly - after some complains in the ant list they finally added
the ignoresystemclasses attribute so that we can get rid off our
class-available task.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> The latest build system distinguishes between jdk 1.2/1.3 and jdk 1.4.
> The resulting target should only be used with the jdk used to
> build Cocoon.
>
> We created our own ant task, the class-available task, to avoid some
> dependency problems. Usually ant searches for classes not only in
> the path set in the build file but also in the system classpath.
>
> So, if this feature is used and you build with JDK 1.4 you have
> for example the jndi classes in your path and the optional components
> depending on this classes are also build and added to the web
> application. If you now run this with a JDK 1.3 where the jndi classes
> are missing, you might get problems...
> So, these cases are the main reason for our own task.
>
> But with our own task the jndi classes of the JDK 1.4 are not found
> as our class-available task only searches in the "local" classpath
> but not in the system classpath. Therefore the optional components
> are never build.
>
> So, we have two options:
> a) Change the "local" classpath and add for example the "rt.jar".
> b) Switch to the original ant task and assume that when you build
>    Cocoon with a given (system)classpath that this will also be
>    the classpath you use for running Cocoon.
>
> From the mass of complains over the last months, I vote for b)
> with some additional messages/documentation indicating this problem.

I havn't followed the hole thread but the available task from ant allows
to say ignoresystemclasses="yes"
(see http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/available.html).

Is this achieving the same result as our
class-available task?

Giacomo