Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Antony Paul <an...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/20 05:29:03 UTC

[OT] Modifying Reply-To header in list messages

Hi all,
    What people here think about this article.

    The Apache lists modifies reply-to field and put in the list
address. Is this acceptable ?

rgds
Antony Paul

Re: [OT] Modifying Reply-To header in list messages

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
If the author subscribed to this list they would be aware that the main
point of mailing from a different address is a mute issue and does not apply
to this list as well as many others. If an email is not sent from the
subscribed email it won't go through, thus negating this reason for a
reply-to different from the author.

As for the second point about sending to the wrong address, I often send out
to the author on other lists by accident. But if I am writing something that
sensitive that it belongs off list I start a new mail. Replying to a list
post with a private message containing sensitive data isn't to bright
anyway.

Sounds like someone is looking for someone/something to blame.

As for the no path home to the author, isn't such a bad thing on some list.

my $0.02

Doug

Posted by PA <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 20, 2005, at 05:29, Antony Paul wrote:

> What people here think about this article.

"Chip Rosenthal Considered Harmful"?!?

Regarding "Munging"... well... in short... the entire email chain is
very much about "munging" in the first place...

> Is this acceptable ?

Oh, my... a question as old as mailing lists themselves... as someone
as already pointed out... one of the main point of a mailing list  is,
well, to post to it... in that sense "reply-to" is a "good thing"...
all things being equal...

Cheers

--
PA
http://alt.textdrive.com/

Re: [OT] Modifying Reply-To header in list messages

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
Werks fer me.