Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON)" <B....@Elsevier.com> on 2013/10/08 21:57:22 UTC

Solr 4.4 - Master/Slave configuration - Replication Issue with Commits after deleting documents using Delete by ID

Hi,
We have recently migrated from Solr 3.6 to Solr 4.4.  We are using the Master/Slave configuration in Solr 4.4 (not Solr Cloud).  We have noticed the following behavior/defect.

Configuration:
===========

1.       The Hard Commit and Soft Commit are disabled in the configuration (we control the commits from the application)

2.       We have 1 Master and 2 Slaves configured and the pollInterval is configured to 10 Minutes.

3.       The Master is configured to have the "replicateAfter" as commit & startup

Steps to reproduce the problem:
==========================

2.       Issue a commit in Master (http://localhost:8983/solr/annotation/update?commit=true).

3.       The replication of the DELETE WILL NOT happen.  The master and slave has the same Index version.

4.       If we try to issue another commit in Master, we see that it replicates fine.

Request you to please confirm if this is a known issue.  Thank you.

Regards,
Bharat Akkinepalli

RE: Solr 4.4 - Master/Slave configuration - Replication Issue with Commits after deleting documents using Delete by ID

Posted by "Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON)" <B....@Elsevier.com>.
Thanks Shalin.

Regards,
Bharat Akkinepalli

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bharat. This is a bug. I've opened LUCENE-5289.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON) <
B.Akkinepalli@elsevier.com> wrote:

> Hi Shalin,
> I am not sure why the log specifies "No uncommitted changes" appear.  The
> data is available in Solr at the time I perform a delete.
>
> please find the below steps I have performed:
> > Inserted a document in master (with id= change.me.1)
> > issued a commit on master
> > Triggered replication on slave
> > Ensured that the document is replicated successfully.
> > Issued a delete by ID.
> > Issued a commit on master
> > Replication did NOT happen.
>
> The logs are as follows:
> Master - http://pastebin.com/265CtCEp
> Slave - http://pastebin.com/Qx0xLwmK
>
> Regards,
> Bharat Akkinepalli.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: Solr 4.4 - Master/Slave configuration - Replication Issue with Commits after deleting documents using Delete by ID

Posted by "Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON)" <B....@Elsevier.com>.
Hi Shalin,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON) < B.Akkinepalli@elsevier.com> wrote:

> Hi Otis,
> Did you get a chance to look into the logs.  Please let me know if you
> need more information.  Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Bharat Akkinepalli

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr 4.4 - Master/Slave configuration - Replication Issue with Commits after deleting documents using Delete by ID

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
The only delete I see in the master logs is:

INFO  - 2013-10-11 14:06:54.793;
org.apache.solr.update.processor.LogUpdateProcessor; [annotation]
webapp=/solr path=/update params={}
{delete=[change.me(-1448623278425899008)]} 0 60

When you commit, we have the following:

INFO  - 2013-10-11 14:07:03.809;
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2; start
commit{,optimize=false,openSearcher=true,waitSearcher=true,expungeDeletes=false,softCommit=false,prepareCommit=false}
INFO  - 2013-10-11 14:07:03.813;
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2; No uncommitted changes.
Skipping IW.commit.

That suggests that the id you are trying to delete never existed in the
first place and hence there was nothing to commit. Hence replication was
not triggered. Am I missing something?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON) <
B.Akkinepalli@elsevier.com> wrote:

> Hi Otis,
> Did you get a chance to look into the logs.  Please let me know if you
> need more information.  Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Bharat Akkinepalli

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: Solr 4.4 - Master/Slave configuration - Replication Issue with Commits after deleting documents using Delete by ID

Posted by "Akkinepalli, Bharat (ELS-CON)" <B....@Elsevier.com>.
Hi Otis,

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Bharat,