Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Antoine Boucher <an...@haltondc.com> on 2022/02/12 23:39:10 UTC

Re: ACS setup with 200+ accounts per domain

Hi Daan,

Thank you again for your response.

We decided to implement the following for our school customers from our limited knowledge of CloudStack and our time constraints.

Here is our v1:

Initial Setup
A) We provisioned an external router for each school capable of supporting hundreds of VLAN and client-VPNs. Fortunately, a Mikrotik hEX does an excellent job for less than $100 CAD.

B) We provisioned a VPN and a /24 subnet with gateway on a dedicated VLAN for each student.

C) For every school, we created a Domain, domain administrators, and enough accounts for every student; xxx-account01, xxx-account02, etc., with the user to accounts removed.

D) We created a new Shared Network Offering with no ACS services; no DHCP,etc. such that no virtual routers are created during instantiation.

E) For each subnet VLAN of B) we created a shared network using D) and associated the network to a corresponding account; xxxx-network01 to xxxx-account01, xxxx-network02 to xxxx-account02, etc.

Ongoing Management
Domain admins (the schools) can now add and remove users to the created accounts and manage the client-VPNs throughout the school year.

All is automated on Mikrotik, and from what I read, it should also be simple to automate on ACS.

My top improvement request would be on the Implicit Dedication. I will follow up on a separate message.

Regards,
Antoine

Antoine Boucher
AntoineB@haltondc.com
[o] +1-226-505-9734
www.haltondc.com

“Data security made simple and affordable”

Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, conversion to hard copy, copying, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message and any attachments from your system.