Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dh...@lexmark.com on 2006/06/27 17:06:23 UTC

Problem referencing webapp with different context name

Hi,

We install a webapp under tomcat\webapps\mywebapp by exploding the
appropriately named war file.

However, we need users to be able to reference it by typing in
http://myserver/differentName.

I tried adding a mywebapp.xml file under C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.12
\conf\Catalina\localhost with the context definition:

      <context name="/differentName" path="/mywebapp"/>

but I get an error

      "WARNING: A docBase C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.12\webapps\mywebapp  inside
the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored"

I *think* I can get around this by placing the webapp outside of the
\webapps folder, but then I lose the ability to explode the war.

It seems to work ok if I place the context definition in server.xml, but
that's not recommended by the docs.

What am I missing - surely this is possible?

cheers,

David

Re: Problem referencing webapp with different context name

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

dhay@lexmark.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We install a webapp under tomcat\webapps\mywebapp by exploding the
> appropriately named war file.
>
> However, we need users to be able to reference it by typing in
> http://myserver/differentName.
>
> I tried adding a mywebapp.xml file under C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.12
> \conf\Catalina\localhost with the context definition:
>
>       <context name="/differentName" path="/mywebapp"/>
>
> but I get an error
>
>       "WARNING: A docBase C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.12\webapps\mywebapp  inside
> the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored"
>
> I *think* I can get around this by placing the webapp outside of the
> \webapps folder, but then I lose the ability to explode the war.
>
> It seems to work ok if I place the context definition in server.xml, but
> that's not recommended by the docs.
>
> What am I missing - surely this is possible?

Rename the mywebapp.xml file to differentName.xml, and re-read the
admittedly unclear docs about the path attribute at: