Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Vallejo Gutierrez, Enrique" <en...@gestion.unican.es> on 2002/07/23 13:47:17 UTC

newbie, problems with perl .pl files under Apache 1.3.26

Hi!

	I am a newbie in this list, and I really have not much idea about
Apache. I work in a University where a web program (WebCT) is used to help
teachers to create web pages for the students. That program runs mainly on
Perl scripts. The web server is Apache, version 1.3.26, in a sistem running
Windows 2000 server.

	Our problem is that, after the last security hotfix upgrading (to
version 1.3.26) perl files are not properly run on the server. Instead, the
file is downloaded to the client, with the ususal "save file as..." message
in the web browser. We have found that the problem apears when a .pl file is
referenced in the url menu bar, but if you try to access the file without
the extension (that is, using "...serve_home" instead of
"...serve_home.pl"), the program works normaly. This problem started
happening just after the patch installing, so I suppose it is because of the
hotfix.

	Is this an Apache known problem? The last hotfix installed refers to
security problems related to running code on the server. Maybe the security
problem is related to Perl extensions, and thus it is normal you have to
remove the extension at the url bar, I do not know. I have done nothing
relating MIME extensions, so if it has beeen changed, that's because of the
hotfix.

	Due to the program license, we can not upgrade to Apache 2.0. I
would like to know how to solve the Perl problem before the course begins.
Will I have to edit the MIME settings? How can I do it? I feel lost!!!!

	I have looked at the FAQ and I have found nothing, nor in the

	Thank you

Enrique Vallejo Gutiérrez
Centro de Formación en Nuevas Tecnologías
   Facultad de Derecho
   Planta 0 (Antigua aula 6)
Avda. Los Castros s/n
39005 - Santander (Cantabria)
Spain

Re: newbie, problems with perl .pl files under Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Miguel Blanco <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Enrique no he trabajado sobre windows 2000 y apache
pero si te sirve de idea te diría que actives en el
httpd.conf el server_status y mires que versión de
modulo perl carga y cula tenías antes, tambien mira
los logs para ver si hay fallos de conexión. Por otro
parece como si te hubiera perdido la extensión o no
asociará bien la extensión..lo siento me gustaría
ayudar más pero no se me ocurre.

Saludos

--- "Vallejo Gutierrez, Enrique"
<en...@gestion.unican.es> escribió: > Hi!

> 	I am a newbie in this list, and I really have not
> much idea about
> Apache. I work in a University where a web program
> (WebCT) is used to help
> teachers to create web pages for the students. That
> program runs mainly on
> Perl scripts. The web server is Apache, version
> 1.3.26, in a sistem running
> Windows 2000 server.
>
> 	Our problem is that, after the last security hotfix
> upgrading (to
> version 1.3.26) perl files are not properly run on
> the server. Instead, the
> file is downloaded to the client, with the ususal
> "save file as..." message
> in the web browser. We have found that the problem
> apears when a .pl file is
> referenced in the url menu bar, but if you try to
> access the file without
> the extension (that is, using "...serve_home"
> instead of
> "...serve_home.pl"), the program works normaly. This
> problem started
> happening just after the patch installing, so I
> suppose it is because of the
> hotfix.
>
> 	Is this an Apache known problem? The last hotfix
> installed refers to
> security problems related to running code on the
> server. Maybe the security
> problem is related to Perl extensions, and thus it
> is normal you have to
> remove the extension at the url bar, I do not know.
> I have done nothing
> relating MIME extensions, so if it has beeen
> changed, that's because of the
> hotfix.
>
> 	Due to the program license, we can not upgrade to
> Apache 2.0. I
> would like to know how to solve the Perl problem
> before the course begins.
> Will I have to edit the MIME settings? How can I do
> it? I feel lost!!!!
>
> 	I have looked at the FAQ and I have found nothing,
> nor in the
>
> 	Thank you
>
> Enrique Vallejo Gutiérrez
> Centro de Formación en Nuevas Tecnologías
>    Facultad de Derecho
>    Planta 0 (Antigua aula 6)
> Avda. Los Castros s/n
> 39005 - Santander (Cantabria)
> Spain

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@httpd.apache.org

=====
"Los productos Microsoft son realmente malos por definición".
- Linus Torvalds - Creador de Linux
Móvil: 678012724
Web: La Página Verde - Http://personal.redestb.es/magerit
Linux registered user: 212893

Re: newbie, problems with perl .pl files under Apache 1.3.26

Posted by Miguel Blanco <mi...@yahoo.com>.

=====