Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2008/10/02 23:36:37 UTC

axiom VS data-binding?

Well, I've a achieved a working connection to the vendor's WS.  Thanks
to all who provided useful input along the way and my apologies if I
posted overmuch or if some of these posts were a tad ill-tempered.
Open-source can be a pain at times and I certainly felt my share this
past week.

Now looking back on what I did, I realize that after all the pain of
generating with WSDL2Java my client doesn't use any of this ugly
generated code at all!!  It's all built with AXIOM!!  And while it isn't
finished, in this application, I think I'll want to continue down that
path to completion.

This is a small project, part of a larger whole and the Axiom model
seems to fit with what I'm trying to do.  I can well imagine bigger
projects where that would not be the case, where I'd want some sort of
automated data binding, but ADB didn't do it for me.  JIBX might be
somewhat better, but I think in this case AXIOM gives the most bang for
the buck.

I would be interested in the opinions of others here.  I am only
interested here in client applications.  I am not thinking about
building services, just consuming them.  What kinds are situations are
best handled with AXIOM and which are better handled with an automatic
data binding technology?

Re: axiom VS data-binding?

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
keith chapman wrote:

no anytypes anywhere in the WSDL.

WSDL is here, check it out yourself:
https://duoshare.com/dsWS/services/PostML/wsdl
The main problem with it, as I see are the huge number of elements.
There are probably better ways to arrange it.

I guess my question was meant to be more general:
Do people use Axiom Instead of or In addition to WSDL2Java generated
code for the client side?  Does it make sense to use Axiom on the
request but generated classes on the response?  What works well, what
doesn't?  That is what I want to know.

Re: axiom VS data-binding?

Posted by keith chapman <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: axiom VS data-binding?