Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ray Madigan <ra...@madigans.org> on 2002/09/10 07:44:22 UTC

Class Loader in Tomcat 4

Does anyone know how the class loader handles jar files in Server/lib and
webapps/app/WEB-INF/lib.

The situation I have encountered is I have multiple applications that run on
a single instance of tomcat.  I have a jar file with common classes that I
put on tomcat/server/lib.  The classes are all in a package
com.mbresearch.xxx

I also have many jar files that go in each application some are contained
packages com.mbresearch.yyy where xxx and yyy stand for a set of different
packages but do not overlap.

As long as one jar is in tomcat/server/lib - the loader seems to expect all
classes to be in tomcat/server/lib and won't find them if they are in
webapps/app/WEB-INF/lib.

Is this behaviour to be expected? I must be doing something wrong- else the
loader would look to find all com.aaa packages in the server/lib and no apps
would work.  Does anyone understand how this should work?

Thanks in advance
Ray madigan