Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Linus van Geuns <li...@vangeuns.name> on 2009/11/09 15:15:58 UTC

[STUDIO] Studio forces all objectclasses the class in use inherits from to be set, too

Hi!

When adding an objectClass vlaue to an entry already existing in a
DIT, Studio forces all classes the requested class inherits from, to
also be added if not already present.

This, in general, is not a bad thing. But when using slapd with
objects added to the DIT w/o objectclass 'top' present, slapd seems to
set the value top internally only.
Studio receives that object w/o objectClass = top set and when the
users wants to add another objectClass, Studio forces top to be set
automatically as every objectClass inherits from top.
slapd will refuse the modify requested, claiming the value top was
already present and Studios wizzard for adding objectClasses wont
allow the user to remove top from the list of objectClasses.

Does the LDAP spec require all objectClasses parent to a objectClass
used, to also be set?
If not, it would be nice to let the user remove automatically added
parent classes from  the list of classes to add.
I already posted this issue in the OpenLDAP channel, as this seems to
be a bug of slapd.

Environment:
Apache Directory Studio 1.5.0.v20091102 x86 on
Ubuntu 9.10 x86
and
OpenLDAP slapd 2.4.11-1 on
Debian GNU/Linux 'lenny' i386

Regards,
Linus

Re: [STUDIO] Studio forces all objectclasses the class in use inherits from to be set, too

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Linus,

Linus van Geuns wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When adding an objectClass vlaue to an entry already existing in a
> DIT, Studio forces all classes the requested class inherits from, to
> also be added if not already present.
>
> This, in general, is not a bad thing. But when using slapd with
> objects added to the DIT w/o objectclass 'top' present, slapd seems to
> set the value top internally only.
> Studio receives that object w/o objectClass = top set and when the
> users wants to add another objectClass, Studio forces top to be set
> automatically as every objectClass inherits from top.
> slapd will refuse the modify requested, claiming the value top was
> already present and Studios wizzard for adding objectClasses wont
> allow the user to remove top from the list of objectClasses.
>
> Does the LDAP spec require all objectClasses parent to a objectClass
> used, to also be set?
> If not, it would be nice to let the user remove automatically added
> parent classes from  the list of classes to add.
> I already posted this issue in the OpenLDAP channel, as this seems to
> be a bug of slapd.

This problem was reported in ITS#5517 [1], there is some discussion
about what LDAP specifies and what not (I wasn't able to follow).

> Environment:
> Apache Directory Studio 1.5.0.v20091102 x86 on
> Ubuntu 9.10 x86
> and
> OpenLDAP slapd 2.4.11-1 on
> Debian GNU/Linux 'lenny' i386

I tested on Ubunto 9.04 and OpenLDAP 2.4.15, here I can't reproduce the
problem. Seem this was fixed in OpenLDAP 2.4.14 and 2.4.15, see
changelog [2].

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1]http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Software%20Bugs?id=5517;selectid=5517;usearchives=1