Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2002/01/17 01:02:00 UTC

org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler a Component?

Hi Sylvain,

I'd like to override some of the behavior of
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler class; however SitemapManager
hard-codes the name of the Handler class in its implementation.

I'd like to make a component out the sitemap.Handler class. Are you OK
with this?

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>
http://orion.rgv.hp.com/ (inside HP's firewall only)
http://sourceforge.net/users/ovidiu/ (my SourceForge page)

Re: org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler a Component?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

 > Hi Sylvain,
 >
 > I'd like to override some of the behavior of
 > org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler class; however SitemapManager
 > hard-codes the name of the Handler class in its implementation.
 >
 > I'd like to make a component out the sitemap.Handler class. Are you OK
 > with this?
 >
 > Thanks,

Do you want to make Handler a top-level component or just be able to
change the actual class used by the compiled sitemap implementation ?

I'm asking this because the contract of Handler is mainly Processor,
which is also the role of SitemapManager and TreeProcessor, but tied to
a particular URI prefix in the application context (i.e. the prefix used
in map:mount)

During the design of TreeProcessor, I had a lot of thoughts about how to
allow several implementations of Processor to coexist in the same Cocoon
instance / URI space.

This is IMO key to allow for example a sitemap to delegate processing of
particular URI patterns to a flowmap engine, and also for the flowmap
engine to delegate back actual page construction to the sitemap engine
(through the "send-page" function).

The <map:mount> implementation in TreeProcessor accepts an additional
"language" attribute which implements this, but only for languages
implemented using TreeProcessor, which is obviously too limiting.

Due to lack of time, I didn't investigate further multi-engine
iteroperability, but I'm sure this is the way to go.

What do you think of this ?

Going back to your question, I wouldn't like to see sitemap.Handler
being a top-level component as it is really tied to the compiled
implementation of the sitemap language.

However, if you want to have a specialized implementation inside the
compiled engine, what about making this a configuration of
SitemapManager ? This shouldn't be difficult, since, as far as can see,
Handler is hardcoded only in Manager.getHandler()

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler a Component?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Resist the temptation
> to make everything under the sun into a Component.

I resonate with Berin's comment.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler a Component?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Ovidiu Predescu wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> I'd like to override some of the behavior of
> org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler class; however SitemapManager
> hard-codes the name of the Handler class in its implementation.
>
> I'd like to make a component out the sitemap.Handler class. Are you OK
> with this?

:/

A Handler is a utility class for the Sitemap and its Manager.
To that end, the Handler is free to be hardcoded.  Resist the temptation
to make everything under the sun into a Component.

If you have a new SitemapManager, you can use a different utility class.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin