Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2009/06/05 11:43:24 UTC

Re: Inherit Apache Parent Pom [WAS Re: svn commit: r781397 - in /james/jspf/trunk: resolver/pom.xml tester/pom.xml]

Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM, David Jencks<da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> A few other suggestions for the build...
>> the ultimate parent should be the apache pom 6.  That defines an
>> apache-release profile that has pretty much all you need for a compliant
>> apache release.... except for a few things.  Also it ties down a lot of the
>> plugin versions so you don't need to specify them.
>
> this means updating the james parent pom
>
> any objections?

A peculiarity of our current parent is that it disable the Maven Central
and only enable the apache maven repository:
---------------------
    <repository>
      <id>central</id>
      <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </snapshots>
    </repository>
    <repository>
      <id>apache.releases</id>
      <name>Apache Main M2 Repository</name>
      <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository</url>
      <releases>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </releases>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </snapshots>
    </repository>
-----------------------------

Now this does not work anymore, anyway, because most stuff has been
moved from http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository to
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-archived/

The idea was that we don't know what ends up in maven central and what
are the licenses, so we wanted to restrict dependencies to a more
controller environment (apache repo + local stage repository).

This probably isn't so good for ASF (using m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
in our poms means users around the world use that resource intensively)
and it proved to break over time (ASF decided to move the archived
artifacts) and the local stage folder as always been a PITA (using maven
while fighting the maven way).

That said, I'd love simply following maven best practices, and do what
every other m2 based ASF project do: simply using central.

+1 for whatever improvement you'll bring to our parent.

Stefano

Re: Inherit Apache Parent Pom [WAS Re: svn commit: r781397 - in /james/jspf/trunk: resolver/pom.xml tester/pom.xml]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Stefano Bagnara<ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:11 PM, David Jencks<da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> A few other suggestions for the build...
>>> the ultimate parent should be the apache pom 6.  That defines an
>>> apache-release profile that has pretty much all you need for a compliant
>>> apache release.... except for a few things.  Also it ties down a lot of the
>>> plugin versions so you don't need to specify them.
>>
>> this means updating the james parent pom
>>
>> any objections?
>
> A peculiarity of our current parent is that it disable the Maven Central
> and only enable the apache maven repository:
> ---------------------
>    <repository>
>      <id>central</id>
>      <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
>      <releases>
>        <enabled>false</enabled>
>      </releases>
>      <snapshots>
>        <enabled>false</enabled>
>      </snapshots>
>    </repository>
>    <repository>
>      <id>apache.releases</id>
>      <name>Apache Main M2 Repository</name>
>      <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository</url>
>      <releases>
>        <enabled>true</enabled>
>      </releases>
>      <snapshots>
>        <enabled>false</enabled>
>      </snapshots>
>    </repository>
> -----------------------------
>
> Now this does not work anymore, anyway, because most stuff has been
> moved from http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository to
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-archived/
>
> The idea was that we don't know what ends up in maven central and what
> are the licenses, so we wanted to restrict dependencies to a more
> controller environment (apache repo + local stage repository).
>
> This probably isn't so good for ASF (using m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
> in our poms means users around the world use that resource intensively)
> and it proved to break over time (ASF decided to move the archived
> artifacts) and the local stage folder as always been a PITA (using maven
> while fighting the maven way).

+1

> That said, I'd love simply following maven best practices, and do what
> every other m2 based ASF project do: simply using central.

+1

- robert